Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried to put on my stack racing throttle body spacer; however, the bolts sent with the package are too short (fail) and the cord for the main power source of the TB motor is too short, I tried to pull any clips off but there isn't any slack in the cord. Any ideas? I would splice it, but that would look rather crude, and there's not always a guarantee that a full connection through all the wire is made. I thought maybe soldering and splicing with some small wiring tools. Any input would be much appreciated..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just splice it and wrap it w electrical tape a little farther down the wire where it is still visible, just rewire the two ends together good and tape over it it will be fine, and you can get bigger screws for it at home depot i forget what size they are though

·
Registered
704 Posts
it is true it doesnt do much but there are a few mpg you will pick up. Im not sure about the wires i got the same one and didnt have to mess with and wiring

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can splice in some more wire but I would use Multilink crimp solder butt connectors. They crimp, solder and seal the wires for no problems down the road at all. You may have to shop around to find them and they aren't cheap but are foolproof way to make the connection on such and important wiring harness. You will want the red size 20-18 AWG.

http://polarwire.com/page51.pdf

Don't be surprise when you see no effect at all after installing the spacer.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its been way over thirty days since I got it. I've got crimpers and all.. it's just past experiences that make me wary of splicing. Every once in a while it doesn't make a good connection, even with the expensive connectors.. I just didn't know if splicing would affect the current to the motor.. when dealing with little stuff like this it's hard to know what's safe.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Wish I could help with the problem, but my advice would be to sell it away. Considering you cant return it.

I've heard there arent any HP or MPG gains to be had.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you use the Multilink connector I suggested there will be no issue with not making a connection and no issue with moisture. I used those when I installed my X-Charger which require a lot of wire splicing. Been running it for over 4 years with now wiring issues. But bottom line the spacer is not going to do much of anything anyway so it may be best to just unload it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that seems to be the thing to do. I mainly got it for looks and to make a whistling sound.

·
Registered
531 Posts
my spacer makes a crazy whistle sound. kinda sounds like a turbo sometimes. but its only good for sound. if you asked me to return it for a full refund i wouldnt.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
my spacer makes a crazy whistle sound. kinda sounds like a turbo sometimes. but its only good for sound. if you asked me to return it for a full refund i wouldnt.
if i ever try one, i think it would be the helix one. did you notice any better mileage? i know a couple guys did. maybe it does add a horse or 2. just a couple or few you wouldnt really feel, but they add up. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts