Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys is it tough to install a throttle body spacer? It does not seem like it would be hard. I have the K&N CAI. Im looking at the JET Performance TBS
Thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts
Street and Performance used my car for a test bed, (my old one), and they had to replace a coupe of the bolts. Just make sure that the new kit is complete, all hardware included. Schould be no hassle at all.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Easy Trick To Install Throttle Body Spacer

05 SatinSylvia said:
Hey guys is it tough to install a throttle body spacer? It does not seem like it would be hard. I have the K&N CAI. Im looking at the JET Performance TBS
Thanks
Hi 05SatinSylvia,

I installed a JET Performance TBS on my 05 GT. It is fairly easy to install. However, to avoid stripping the threads I called my brother who worked for years as a pipe-fitter and helped me do a quick and clean job with a little technique he figured out over the years.

The throttle body is held in by four threaded rods. These screw into the air intake and then nuts are tightened on the rods to hold the throttle body to the air intake housing. This can be a problem for retro-fitting a spacer such as the JET Performance TBS. Several posters here and in other Mustang forums have stripped the threads on their rods and had to either buy new rods or replace them with bolts. But there is a simple solution in 9 easy steps:

1. Remove the nuts from 2 of the rods.
2. Loosen the 2 remaining nuts to about half an inch from the end of their rods.
3. Add a second nut to each of the 2 loosened nuts.
4. Tighten them together using two wrenches and twisting them towards each other: Presto, you've just created a home-made temporary bolt.
5. Unbolt the 2 rods from the air intake housing and remove the rods.
6. Once these 2 first rods are removed, loosen and remove the nuts and place them as above on the 2 remaining rods.
7. Once you have postioned the throttle body spacer against the air intake as indicated by the manufacturer, screw in as far as you choose the two rods with double nuts, using them as home-made bolts .
8. Afterwards remove the 4 nuts and tighten them together at the end of the 2 remaining rods in order to insert them too.
9. Once all rods are in place, put one nut on each rod and screw them all down to permanently fasten the throttle body + spacer to the air intake housing.

Hope this helps. It sounds complicated but when you do it this is about as simple as it gets. Nothing ever risks harming the threads of your stock rods, the only extra tools required are 2 wrenches instead of one.

Cheers,

/Vic

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Do these make any power whats so ever on the s197's or is it a worthless POS like so many other TB Spacers?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
While I may be mechanically inclined, I'm not automotively inclined.:dunce:

Just what is the throttle body spacer supposed to do and how does it work? At first glance it just seems to extend the air path to the intake plenum. I know it can't be that simple.

·
Registered
394 Posts
myltlpny said:
While I may be mechanically inclined, I'm not automotively inclined.:dunce:

Just what is the throttle body spacer supposed to do and how does it work? At first glance it just seems to extend the air path to the intake plenum. I know it can't be that simple.
Yep, that's it! Adds minor volume to the combustion chamber or path. Little to no HP increase on most from what I've read and others here have tried. Looks cools so go for it if you want the Gee Whiz factor. I will probably put one on just for that factor...can't hurt, might help, and does look neat. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi guys,

Here are my clarifications of what I found out before and after adding a spacer. I am not trying to convince anybody, just conveying my level of knowledge or ignorance.

In another forum I remember an automotive engineer stating that the throttle butterfly flap in the 2005-06 GT was poorly designed and vibrates when you rev the engine causing a lag in power. True or not, after reading many testimonials and witnessing a heated flame debate about throttle body spacers, I paid the seventy or so dollars and fitted the above mentioned throttle body as my very first mod. While I speak for nobody but myself, I can state that I was happy after the mod, because about 75% of the throttle by wire response lag was gone. The Stang replied almost instantaneously to jabs of the accelerator pedal.

Of course, different cars may give different results, and other people may not be as sensitive to the endless wait before the car reacts to stomping a pedal. Furthermore, I cannot vouch that this mod is indispensible. I later flashed the ECU chip with a performance SCT tune (my second mod) and found the remaining 25% of the accelerator lag was gone. Would the SCT tune alone have removed the lag entirely without the JET spacer? I cannot say. But I am now quite happy with the GT which feels much more like a sports car. The spacer was a small part of that, I do not know if it is indispensible but it does help if you are keeping your car close to stock. If you are planning on flashing your chip, do so first and only add the spacer if you still have accelerator lag.

Cheers,

/Vic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts