Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about installing a throttle body up grade for my 2008 bullitt gt mustang 2008. i have read that the ford racing part requires calibration and i do not know what this entails. i plan to do the installation as it appears to be a simple bolt on. has anyone done this or could give me some advice on whether this up grade is worth it? the part that i have seen costs around $600

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If your car is stock or close to it then no, it's not worth it. Your $600 is much better spent elsewhere. You'll see little-to-no gains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
throttle body up grade for 3v 2008 bullitt mustang

Thanks for the advice. where would you suggest an upgrade to get some additional pop out my mustang that would be somewhat economical but not affect drivability or ford warranty? I am not interested in super speed gains perhaps 20 hp at the max.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have a blower on my car and I have the that throttlebody. It was not worth it for me and Im at 450rwhpish.

Your car already has a better than stock CAI.
Try a custom tune from Brenspeed or American Muscle. Then delete plates. They will make a nice start.
Then maybe longtubes. This should get you over 300rwhp with all the above.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hubkap is pushing out over 600RWHP and if I remember right he is still using the stock throttle body

If you change the wiper blades Ford will void your warranty:gringreen so really there isn't anything that you can do that won't have some warranty risk.

I dont know if you are 100% stock, but if you are, a cold air intake and tuner from american muscle will give you about 25-30rwhp and make the car much more fun to drive. Plus it's cheaper than the throttle body, and will make the car sound a bit better, take away that dead spot in the pedal and give you much improved throttle response.

Check out americanmuscle.com:bigthumbsup they have everything you could want there, the prices are right, and the customer service is second to none. And they are active here at AFM and will answer any threads.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
The Ford Racing part is not always a tune required part, it all depends on how close the Accufab aka Ford Racing T.B. is set (TPS wise) to your stock TPS voltage. The only thing it might be tuned for is the tendency to have idle hang, but this can usually be tuned out as long as it is within range. Overall you are not going to find a nicer piece as throttle bodies go, but there are plenty of other great "bang for the buck items" that will give you more gain for your money. Please dont hesitate to give us a call at 574.594.9559 if you have any questions at all. We dont bite :)

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Hubkap is pushing out over 600RWHP and if I remember right he is still using the stock throttle body
I know of a pump gas Vortech car making 773rwhp with the stock TB and intake.:worship Amazing!

You couldn't do that with a PD blower though.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
i am thinking about installing a throttle body up grade for my 2008 bullitt gt mustang 2008. i have read that the ford racing part requires calibration and i do not know what this entails. i plan to do the installation as it appears to be a simple bolt on. has anyone done this or could give me some advice on whether this up grade is worth it? the part that i have seen costs around $600

What modifications do you currently have on the car?

A throttle-body is a good investment if you are flowing enough air to warrant the need for one. If you have mainly bolt-ons, then you don't really need one, yet.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I know of a pump gas Vortech car making 773rwhp with the stock TB and intake.:worship Amazing!

You couldn't do that with a PD blower though.

Really? I didn't know that. When (what HP) would you need to change the tb with a PD blower?

And btw was that car a Mustang? If not, what kind was it? :)

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Holy Shiite!! Amazing is right :bigthumbsup

I thought I was doin good with a stock tb (fine for centris) but I don't make that on race gas, let alone pump gas. And a stock intake to boot?? Damn...I'd have thought at that power level the boost would have blown that plastic sucker apart :kooky:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I dont know if you are 100% stock, but if you are, a cold air intake and tuner from american muscle will give you about 25-30rwhp and make the car much more fun to drive. Plus it's cheaper than the throttle body, and will make the car sound a bit better, take away that dead spot in the pedal and give you much improved throttle response.
I added a JLT CAI and Bama tune last night and could not be happier and I am only running the 87 Performance tune. Delivered i paid just south of $580 with express shipping.

Best money in have spent on the car to date! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I added a JLT CAI and Bama tune last night and could not be happier and I am only running the 87 Performance tune. Delivered i paid just south of $580 with express shipping.

Best money in have spent on the car to date! :bigthumbsup

Glad to hear you are so pleased:bigthumbsup

Just wait until you run one of the race tunes!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Glad to hear you are so pleased:bigthumbsup

Just wait until you run one of the race tunes!

+1

Burn all that awful 87 and get that race tune going.:winks You're going to love it.

It's amazing what under $600 and a half hour in the driveway could do for the drivability of these cars.

I could not imagine driving my car without the bama tune now. My automatic was boring before. Now slamming through the gears and hearing the tires chirp each time is my favorite part:)

And BTW, American Muscle's (always:bigthumbsup) free shipping sure seems like "express" to me:yup: I think it took 2 days for my JLT to show up. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
335 Posts
Brothers had a sale on their BBK 62MM TB for $200 so I took a chance. It didn't seem to do much at the time but I added Bullitt mufflers and that combo did make a little difference.

Not a huge increase for $450 total but it sounds good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My heartfelt thanks for all of the replies. Most helpful. I think I have enough info to start my project or at least good contacts for advice.:):)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Really? I didn't know that. When (what HP) would you need to change the tb with a PD blower?

Thanks for the info.
I had to change to a GT500 TB with my current setup. The Maggie would suck the throttle blade open a tiny bit and my car would go into Failsafe mode. The twin 55mm stock GT TB wasn't cutting it. So the twin 60mm(GT500) took care of that. Only took a year to figure that one out...:smartass: American Muscle had a great price on GT500 TB with the adapter plate.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
My heartfelt thanks for all of the replies. Most helpful. I think I have enough info to start my project or at least good contacts for advice.:):)
My pleasure:bigthumbsup

Let me know if I can be of assistance in the future!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts