Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent had my car very long. Its a 2012 v6, and havent really opened the motor up. Tonight I hit the throttle from a stop , its an automatic , and the car started forward but then the motor seemed to just cut out then go again. It was like a bog where the engine literaly shut off and then started to go again. Am I making any sense ? Has anyone else experienced this ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is typical with the stock tune. It's built in to ensure that your pushing the gas to the floor really was what you intended to do...lol...Get a BAMA tune (or any tune) and you can get rid of the lag.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Drive like an ******* for a bit and it'll start to respond much quicker. It also helps to take off traction and stability control by holding the brake and the traction control button at the same time for 5 seconds when stopped.

Be careful!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
It could also be the traction control kicking in if it detected tire spin when you punched it.

There is a certain amount of throttle lag built in but it is generally right from the get-go not a second or two after starting off.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It might might the torque management programming in the ecu that Ford has as a standard feature on most of their higher powered vehicles. Someone explained it in another thread. Here is a quote from Stang TV

"Driving a 2011 Mustang is fun; it revs to 6800 RPM and has gobs of power on demand. To keep the power on demand manageable for most of the general public, Ford engineered torque management strategies that delays the power delivery under light and full throttle applications. While this also serves as a safety feature, is also the Mustang’s biggest downfall. When you rotate your right foot over the loud pedal, the Mustang lags almost like it has a big turbo on it, while it progressively delivers the torque to the rear wheels. Also, overall the throttle response in all situations is less than desired"

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Traction control was OFF when the bog occurred. I have heard trhat a tune would help. Just seem funny that Ford would build a car that bogs like this with a performance motor in it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Traction control was OFF when the bog occurred. I have heard trhat a tune would help.
Torque Management and Traction Control are completely different. You can't control the Torque Managment with a button. You need a tuner for this to be changed.

Just seem funny that Ford would build a car that bogs like this with a performance motor in it.
Talk to a GT owner with the 6 spd manual about the skip shift feature. Now that is a design blunder if I've ever seen one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Put some 91 octane in the tank, that will get rid of alot of that throttle lag, engine will run much better, timing will be superior. Using cheap 87 octane gas causes these problems. A tune running 91 will remove the throttle lag by 100 percent.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Put some 91 octane in the tank, that will get rid of alot of that throttle lag, engine will run much better, timing will be superior. Using cheap 87 octane gas causes these problems. A tune running 91 will remove the throttle lag by 100 percent.
Changing from 87 to 93 made no difference in throttle lag on my car. Going from stock to the 93 street tune made it feel like I could snap my neck.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Like others have said this is normal. I find it helps if you depress the accelerator "smoothly" instead of punching it; that seems to reduce the "bog" time considerably. Sorry for the excessive use of "--" :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'll chime in for agreement; Changing octane will not change the response lag. I've been running 93 for about 2 months now, and the lag is still persistent. I'll be ordering my tuner in a couple weeks, and expect that to fix EVERYTHING. :worship

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
What I have found is that you need to work with the throttle. If you floor it too aggressively you'll often get that delay and then a burst. But if you are more gradual with the pedal, you can get a very smooth build with less delay and the same rush.

Also when you floor it the throttle and transmission to not play as nicely together as when you give them time to synchronize their respective roles in generating power

The throttle is very easily feathered to help control shift points as well.

That said, I ordered my tunes yesterday, primarily to address the throttle response and shift points

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After reading the responses i am feeling that :

this is a normal condition for a factory tune.

It only happened when I opened the throttle rapidly instead of gradually

I put 91 octane in before this happened

i think I need an aftermarket tune

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Yeah a tune should solve things. Personally I am not bothered enough by the lag to spend $400 on a tuner and void my warranty. If I was racing the thing then it would be another story but its still fun to drive on a daily basis without a tune.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i have an unlocked tuner i cant use anymore (own a ranger now)

if someone wants it im saying 275.

sorry to hijack

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I havent had my car very long. Its a 2012 v6, and havent really opened the motor up. Tonight I hit the throttle from a stop , its an automatic , and the car started forward but then the motor seemed to just cut out then go again. It was like a bog where the engine literaly shut off and then started to go again. Am I making any sense ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
I personally feel throttle lag driving ANY automatic car, but not usually from a complete stop.... that sounds to me like a traction control thing.... same thing happens when i punch my manual stang from a dead stop... I wouldn't call what I experience throttle lag, more like a decrease of power, taking of traction control is an entirely different story for me.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Drive like an ******* for a bit and it'll start to respond much quicker. It also helps to take off traction and stability control by holding the brake and the traction control button at the same time for 5 seconds when stopped.

Be careful!
lol, or like it's stolen.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
throttle lag is the single largest reason i'd want a tune.

ironically, my car is quite decent from a dead stop but when you're crusin around or on the freeway, and you hit the "go" pedal, the lag is obvious and strangely accelerates at two different points, which I have coined my standby and lift-off modes.

fix the lag ford. this is not your father's taurus.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a 2010 v6 with a manual transmission and despite that there was still throttle lag! Got the SCT Tuner and turned the "boat anchor" into a beast, the JLT CAI didn't hurt either! Now I know we have different engines, but AM had a couple guinea pig 2011 stangs and made the tunes for you guys the same way the did for 2005-2010 stangs! You will not be sorry you got a SCT/CAI package from them!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts