Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo.... I was testing my tps with a multimeter and got weird numbers that stumped me.. now that I look it back together and the car idles at 2K RPM.... was it something I did or did a make a problem become more apparent

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Were you testing the TPS because you're having a problem or were you just bored? Kinda get the idea from your post that it coulda gone either way there.

Anyway, I doubt you messed anything up or made an existing issue worse. It has been a very long time since I last R&R'd the TPS on my car (when I changed out the tb/plenum in 2007) but it is possible to screw up installing it. You will need to do a little more looking around because I can't say for sure, but as I recall the sensor should set onto the tb and then need to be rotated slightly to line up the screw holes, which will pre-load the spring in the sensor a little. So you may just need to play around with it a little in order to get it right.

FWIW, regarding the use of a multi-meter to test resistance values of something like a TPS... The proper type of meter to use for this would be analog. What you would be looking for is that the needle would make a clean sweep either up or down as you turn the TPS. Any large spikes or dips in the needle position as you go through the range of motion would indicate that you have a faulty sensor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts