Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 is completely stock with about 80,000 miles on her. Never any problems except a few warranty issues back in 06.

Over the last 5,000 miles she has started to loose throttle response. I can floor it at a stop light and it eases off the line and then at about 25mph it goes back to normal and i can let off the throttle.

It almost acts like it starts off in 2nd gear and then downshifts. I have taken her to a great transmission guy who has been in town since the 60's. He dropped the pan and drove it about 20 miles. Didn't charge me and said the trans is fine. He said maybe a slow spot? in the engine?

I live in a very hilly/mountainous area and it seem like it does it more going up steep hills or after a long road trip.

Very frustrating.. any ideas?

It won't be my daily driver any more and I'm about to start doing some common mods. (tune, cai, exaust, ect..) I want to make sure it's in good shape before I start doing stuff..Thanks:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ive had the same issues with my 2000 V6. It was running really lean because i installed CAI, throttle body, exhaust and other bolt ons. It messed up my computer until i bought a tuner from AM, havent had a problem since

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you checked your spark plugs? If you haven't changed them, I'd change spark plugs, the wires, and get a new coil pack as well. Should bring your get-up-and-go back.

Another thing is your car's CPU is constantly adjusting to your driving style so after a long trip where your speed may have been pretty steady, you'll lose some throttle response. Without a tune, I think your car will definitely downshift on a steep hill. I know mine does.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
if you have more than 30k on the spark plugs change them out. change all your filters too. if youve never cleaned the throttle body, pull the air tube off the frt and look inside. if its all black, it needs to be cleaned. if it needs it, get a spray can of throttle body cleaner from the auto parts and post back on here for plenty of advise how to do it. it will have to be removed to clean it. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be an electrical issue? The alternator has started humming and the AC will blow hot air for a few seconds between 5mph and 20 mph while accelerating. Took it to auto zone and they hooked it up said it was not charging completely while idling. I have cleaned the TB before but it has the original plugs and wires.

This weekend I'm going to clean the TB, replace plugs and wires, and put on a new higher amp alternator. Thanks! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Look at your belt, as well. AC compressor issues can sometimes be a bad serpentine belt. If it hasn't been changed for 80,000 miles its about time to change it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had similar problems with my throttle response. It would lag and jump all over the place. In the end i had to get a whole new throttle body, so it may be your throttle body. If after you clean it, the problem persists take it to a mechanic or ford to check it out. Also, my alternator had the same issue and my car died at a red light (very embarassing!) So i also had to get a new alternator.

Try and get them fixed before they break completely! haha. And if they do throw some aftermarket on :yelwacko:

ford stock throttle body - $500, BBK 70mm- $310 (just saying) :smilie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:smilie Problem fixed!!! I put on an Ultima Select new alternator from O'reillys and a new belt. It must have been going out for awhile. The air is cold at start-up now and no more whining sound. Also it has a little more get up and go.

Next weekend - New Motorcraft plugs and the Taylor wires from Americanmuscle.com

Thanks for the advice :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
glad its better. your down here in the ozarks? i`m near branson, it is hilly around here and very few straight roads can be found. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
glad its better. your down here in the ozarks? i`m near branson, it is hilly around here and very few straight roads can be found. :)

Yep, I'm in Bella Vista in Northwest Arkansas. Right on the state line a few miles north of Fayetteville/Rogers/Bentonville.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts