Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope this works as I have never done this. Here it goes. 88 gt convert. 188k miles. since I got the car, had a backfire through the intake under load. Seems to be fixed. No pollution,egr blocked off.
New: every sensor under the hood, polished upper/lower, fuel reg., 70mm TB/Spacer, 19lb injectors, timing chain, plugs, wires, fender mount cold air intake, shorty headers, high flow X-pipe w/cats, king cobre clutch, power trax locker, 3:37. Exterior redone, orange, ram air hood, saleen wing. Will enclosed pic if I get this fixed and not push it off a cliff...........
Tests: fuel pressure, only pulling codes 94,44,31- air/pollution related, vaccum, timing/advancement.
Problem: Car shoots to 2k rpm then idles at 1k. I can adjust. When I hit the gas it hestitates. No backfire, timing advaces and fuel pressure rises to 40psi. I'm leaning towards distributor, module, coil????????? Only things not new. With all the aftermarket/new, I should rip the tires apart starting in 2nd holding 4-5K rpm. I have to pop the clutch in 1st at 4k to chearp..
Need some thoughts/direction........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Need some help......... I could not get the idle under 1200. I reset the TPS to .98 (was .92) Reset the base timing to 10 degrees. Now idles at around 900, motor is shakey, and surges like crazy. (had the surging before all the new parts under hood) When I first turn it over, it spikes to 2000, drop down to 900 and starts to surge up and down. Not sure if their relate, (other than the turning of the motor) but the dash amp meter also surges with the idle. Other than the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, not has been done to the ignition. Could coil, module be dowing this? How do I test? Please help!

PS - still no throttle response!

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is might be a little beyond my car knowledge but when you did the timing chain did you also do the cam and get things misaligned? Sounds timing related to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the chain and both gears. Started at TDC, alignment marks in line when removed/installed the chain, never pull the distributor. I too think it's timing related. Before I ran the codes, I peromed the timing advance test and the advance is working. The only thing that is abolutely not new under the hood is the distriutor, module and coil??????????????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.