Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

5K miles ago I gad my Dealership replace my clutch (whole assembly).
3K miles ago the throw out bearing started to make noise. It was that hi pitch noise when the throw out bearing hits the levers on the pressure plate.

Te dealership took the tranny down and replaced the throw out bearing. (no $$$ for me - they are real good people!)

So last week the new throw out bearing started to make noise again.
Same hi-pitch noise. That really drives me nuts!!!
Do you have any ideas if that could be an out of adjustment "thing" of the clutch adjusting mechanism. Have you ever had something like that?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Sounds like there's more than a bearing problem there. Sounds like there may be an alignment issue somewhere. They should have replaced the throwout bearing when they replaced the clutch to begin with.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I was probabely not accurate enough.

The first time they replaced clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing and resurfaced the fly wheel.
The second time they only replaced the faulty throw out bearing

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 95, except when mine went out my neighbor replaced everything for free except parts. The way I fixed it was, I got a new car :laughlitt

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

last update on this post:
The clutch is going to be replaced again.
New clutch disc, new pressure plate, new throw out bearing. (I really love the guys from my dealership. No $$$ for me, they will cover the costs)
How ever I will pay for a new fly wheel, and pilot bearing.

cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw your posting, and I am having what I think is the same problem with my 98 GT. When it is either idle, or I'm giving it gas from a low speed while changing gears, it makes a high-pitched grinding sound. And the dealership recently changed the clutch. Twice! They did not do it correctly the first time, and it slipped. It would not engage when shifting. So when I brought it back to them I let them know, and they "supposedly" readjusted everything. Anyway, does this sound familiar to your old problem? And if so, what was the solution?

·
Registered
89 Posts
From what you decribed it sounds like they replaced everything but your pilot bearing which they are going to do this time. The way everything sounds replacing that bearing should take care of the problem with your throw out bearing continually going out. I say this cause me and my dad learned this the hard way when we replaced the throw out bearing on our 79 Jeep CJ-7 and then had to pull the tranny again a few weeks later and pur another throw out bearing in it along with replacing the pilot bearing this time. Haha live and learn but ya if the pilot bearing is shot it will wear the hell out of your throw out bearing really quick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been having the same problem in my v6 94 mustang. I replaced the clutch and throw out bearing and within a couple months the chirp of the throw out bearing was back. Replaced the throw out bearing agian because i pulled my engine and now with my new engine and less than 500 miles the sound is back. Hopefully its the pilot bearing and its an easy fix, i will let you know if it works for me

·
Registered
190 Posts
the pilot bearing it's tricky to replace without the right puller,most so call mechanics don't even know the thing is in there.others don't bother to replaced if don't have the right tool.it's very important to make certain they did replaced.if so then the problem is in the stock plastic clutch quadrant mechanism.the fix,get a for racing aluminum quadrant with the adjustable cable.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok so i have this same problem but i went from a auto to a 5speed everthing is new n ive replaced the throw out bearing about a month or two ago it was working fine then again today the noise came from the throw out bearing why is it going out again

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ive had 4 stangs and every time i replaced the clutch and throw out bearing they started making noise within days of install i just replaced clutch and throwout bearing in my 04 gt and no noise at all i used the spec stage 2 clutch kit this is the first clutch kit ive ever seen without throwout bearing noise i highly reccomend to try spec out ive used factory clutch kits and still got noise hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys

5K miles ago I gad my Dealership replace my clutch (whole assembly).
3K miles ago the throw out bearing started to make noise. It was that hi pitch noise when the throw out bearing hits the levers on the pressure plate.

Te dealership took the tranny down and replaced the throw out bearing. (no $$$ for me - they are real good people!)

So last week the new throw out bearing started to make noise again.
Same hi-pitch noise. That really drives me nuts!!!
Do you have any ideas if that could be an out of adjustment "thing" of the clutch adjusting mechanism. Have you ever had something like that?

Thanks
i'm dealing with the same problem, i replaced the cluch. found out you need the ford models release bearing (throw out bearing) order it from ford.

seea on the next turn.

·
Registered
170 Posts
well my 95 i just replaced with speck 2 and it never felt right.I replaced pilot bearing,throw-out,clutch,disc and pressure plate.I have adjustable cable(maybe thats my problem)from the 1st day after install it had a little clicking in 1st gear(kind of like putting a playing card in spokes but a little deeper) and I was always adjusting clutch.My king cobra did same think but broke the clutch cable when throw out bearing gave out.I lokked inside the inspection cover(dust shield)looks like throw out bearing is all apart.I did not replace pilot bearing on king cobra but I did on the speck and made shure throw out bearing was on clip of the fork.WHAT THE F+#[email protected]^.I called spec they said it allignment problem ,bent shift fork?help

·
Banned
335 Posts
well my 95 i just replaced with speck 2 and it never felt right.I replaced pilot bearing,throw-out,clutch,disc and pressure plate.I have adjustable cable(maybe thats my problem)from the 1st day after install it had a little clicking in 1st gear(kind of like putting a playing card in spokes but a little deeper) and I was always adjusting clutch.My king cobra did same think but broke the clutch cable when throw out bearing gave out.I lokked inside the inspection cover(dust shield)looks like throw out bearing is all apart.I did not replace pilot bearing on king cobra but I did on the speck and made shure throw out bearing was on clip of the fork.WHAT THE F+#[email protected]^.I called spec they said it allignment problem ,bent shift fork?help
I also hated the feel of my Spec stage 2 clutch.My Spec throwout bearing failed and my Spec clutch disc failed also.
I think the best throwout bearing you can use is the Ford throwout bearing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also have a problem with the clutch and throwout bearing. There is a knocking and whirring noise at idle and in neutral that goes away when I push the clutch in. However, with the clutch depressed when I put the car in (any) gear sitting still at idle it makes a tick tick tick and the car tried to move a little bit, very hard to get into reverse - so it seems like the clutch is not disengaging all the way.

I got under the car and removed the inspection plate and to my surprise everything looks OK (without pulling the trans). I read on another forum that the throwout bearing retaining sleeve (retainer bearing) could be compromised and the "tell" is up and down play in the clutch fork? Anyone ever replaced this retaining sleeve (retainer bearing)?

·
Registered
46 Posts
the pilot bearing it's tricky to replace without the right puller,most so call mechanics don't even know the thing is in there.others don't bother to replaced if don't have the right tool.it's very important to make certain they did replaced.if so then the problem is in the stock plastic clutch quadrant mechanism.the fix,get a for racing aluminum quadrant with the adjustable cable.:bigthumbsup
Actually.....most clutch alignment tools have a round end on them that fits pretty tight in the pilot bearing hole - pack the hole in the pilot bearing COMPLETELY full of grease, insert the tool, and smack it pretty hard. It will hydraulic the bearing out. :smartass:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.