Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 01 GT 5sp that I bought used. I drove the car for a few weeks when I noticed a loud rattling noise that would go away when I pressed on the clutch. I took the car back to the dealer because it is still under warranty. They replaced the throw out bearing and the problem seemed to go away. I still notice a slight rattling noise that seems to be more noticeable at higher RPM's and still goes away when I press on the clutch. The noise is not as loud as it was before I had the throw out bearing replaced, but it is still slightly noticeable. My question is should there be a slight rattling noise? Or should it be quiet and the only noise I hear be the engine noise? Any thoughts and ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I would say take it back again just to be sure. I dont think you should be hearing that noise...but Im not a tranny expert, or an expert on much of anything for that matter...lol. I dont know what it would be other than clutch chatter...but I dont think you should have that if it is a stock tranny and clutch setup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
WARRANTY! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is a stock clutch and tranny. I guess I need to here from others that have a late model GT with a 5sp? I want to know if they here any clutch noise ( rattle ) and should some noise just be expected?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Jeff007, I afraid that I cannot be much help but will describe the characteristics of my 01 GT 5spd. My transmission has a lot of gear whine but no rattles as you have described.

Best suggestion if it is under warranty take it back in also, some things I would check; exhaust clearance and transmission mount

Do you have any history of maintenance done to the car before you got it?

M

·
0 Posts
My car when I put it in neutral and have the clutch pedal up it kinda sounds like a grinding sound. But it's just the gears meshing. It does go away when I push the clutch in though.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
When the pedal is RELEASED (clutch non engaged) the transmission has to be more less silent, no grinding noises whatsoever.

It surely sounds as a TO bearing problem, but could also be the inputshaft bearing but that noise would be constant (clutch or not).

I just replaced an almost BRAND NEW FRPP TO bearing, lasted only 2-3 months, same with a friend of mine, his TO was noisy from day 1.
Seems like a quality problem with Ford TO bearings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I guess In need to take it back. There is now grinding noise, just that rattling sound. I had the TO bearing replace allready and before that It was very loud in all gears and netural just as long as the clutch was not pressed. You pressed it and it weny away. After the dealer replaced it, the noise is still there just not near as loud as it was. I just want to get some imput on other drivers with a 4.6L 5sp to see if they here anything like this at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Similar problem

01 GT 5 speed. My son and I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. After all that, the clutch seems to work fine but get chatter when the clutch is released. Just a LITTLE pressure on the clutch petal makes the chatter go away so I got under the car and found the arm for the throw out bearing is loose and moves around, I think, more than it should. When I put a little pressure on the arm with the motor running the noise and vibration stop. Not sure whats going on with that. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate the help. Do you have to drop the tranny again to change the throw out bearing arm?

·
Registered
79 Posts
As my signature states, I have an 00 GT 5 speed. I too, have a bad TO bearing, but I live with it until the clutch is a total gonner. It sure sounds like a defective TO to me. Heck, you have the warranty, use it! Take it back, and have them tell you the problem. Ask to ride with the mechanic if they will let you, he wants the work, he gets paid if there is a problem! Point out the issue.

I wish you luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
01 GT 5 speed. My son and I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. After all that, the clutch seems to work fine but get chatter when the clutch is released. Just a LITTLE pressure on the clutch petal makes the chatter go away so I got under the car and found the arm for the throw out bearing is loose and moves around, I think, more than it should. When I put a little pressure on the arm with the motor running the noise and vibration stop. Not sure whats going on with that. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate the help. Do you have to drop the tranny again to change the throw out bearing arm?

The "arm for the throw out bearing" I assume you mean the clutch fork? If so, sounds like it is not seated properly on the pivot ball inside the bell housing. If seated properly, it should not move at all. The cable coming from your clutch pedal, goes down to the clutch fork and pulls on it when you step on the clutch pedal. The cable pulls the end of the fork towards the motor, which in turn, pulls the throw out bearing into the fingers of the pressure plate, which releases the disc and allows you to shift. The other end of the fork is attached to the pivot ball on the upper passenger side of the bell housing. It sorta clips onto the pivot ball. If the clip is broken or the pivot ball is cracked, it will allow the fork to move around you, which is not good.
Unlike toolband suggested, DO NOT CONTINUE to just drive it. If it lets go on you, you'll be stuck on the side of the road wherever it happens and the potential for major damage is ten-fold. It's alot easier and cheaper to replace/repair clutch fork or pivot ball then it is to replace a clutch kit and or flywheel. If it lets go, the aluminum bell housing is not going to contain it which means you run the risk of the bell housing cracking and pieces of the broken clutch/flywheel coming up thru the floorboard. :scratchchin

I would start by removing the transmission and inspecting the clutch fork and pivot ball. If you don't have one yet, I'd highly recommend getting a Chilton's or Haynes manual at your local auto parts store. It'll help you a great deal in removing the tranny and inspecting the clutch linkage.

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch fork

I have a 2001 GT and had the clutch replaced, upon getting the car back the clutch peddel buzzed and/or vibrated terribly. I took it back to the mechanic. He tore the trans out again and inspected all of the parts. During the teardown he was talking to another mechanic who recommended he carefully inspect the pivot ball and the socket in the clutch fork for any wear. When he did this he found that the pivot ball was worn and that it had almost worn completely through the socket in the arm. After he replaced both the fork and the pivot ball all is quiet with great performance and no more noise or vibration.

2001 and 2006 GT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.