Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i've been lurking around and finally decided to make an account b/c i wanted to see if you guys have heard of this in the 5.0's

I've had the car for 3 months i got it used and everything was great for about a month and a half and then i started noticing this faint tick when your driving past parked cars(echo) or a wall and i thought that was just the "engine tick" that everybody was talking about but now its gotten to the point where you can hear it all the time except on highways and i was coming home last night with the windows down and i heard the tick so i took it out of gear still heard it released the clutch pedal and went away in 2 seconds pressed the clutch pedal in and 2 seconds later the tick came back does anybody have an idea what this could be? ill try to post a vid of it soon so yall can get an idea of what im talking about.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A bad throw out bearing can cause a "ticking" noise that may go away when you push the clutch pedal down.

·
Registered
297 Posts
A bad throw out bearing can cause a "ticking" noise that may go away when you push the clutch pedal down.
no,

it would be the other way around.

beers

F

·
0 Posts
Hey guys i've been lurking around and finally decided to make an account b/c i wanted to see if you guys have heard of this in the 5.0's

I've had the car for 3 months i got it used and everything was great for about a month and a half and then i started noticing this faint tick when your driving past parked cars(echo) or a wall and i thought that was just the "engine tick" that everybody was talking about but now its gotten to the point where you can hear it all the time except on highways and i was coming home last night with the windows down and i heard the tick so i took it out of gear still heard it released the clutch pedal and went away in 2 seconds pressed the clutch pedal in and 2 seconds later the tick came back does anybody have an idea what this could be? ill try to post a vid of it soon so yall can get an idea of what im talking about.
Hi Robo_E,

I recommend you to bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer to have your vehicle fully diagnosed. Then please message me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
I hear nothing.

Can you clearify what you did to make the sound go away? What you typed is hard to follow and I don't feel like guessing at it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The video does not pick it up well, but I heard what the OP is concerned about . . . that is the ignitor tick, and I can say that with reasonable certainty.

What's your build date?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cidsamuth did you hear it all the time or only when driving? i ask because it doesn't make the sound at idle only when im driving in the city, in traffic, or when i have the clutch pedal pushed in.

tick appers when:
1. driving in the city and in traffic
2. the clutch pedal is pushed in
3. car is at full operating temp
4. in gears 1-4

tick goes away:
1. When i let off the gas pedal
2. at highway speeds

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Cidsamuth did you hear it all the time or only when driving? i ask because it doesn't make the sound at idle only when im driving in the city, in traffic, or when i have the clutch pedal pushed in.

tick appers when:
1. driving in the city and in traffic
2. the clutch pedal is pushed in
3. car is at full operating temp
4. in gears 1-4

tick goes away:
1. When i let off the gas pedal
2. at highway speeds
For me, the sound appears when the engine is hot and mostly between 1200 and 2500 RPM under load. It either goes away after about 2500 RPM or is drown out by other sounds. It is much worse when hot outside and much worse when the A/C is on. It also comes at idle with no load if the A/C is on and it is extremely hot outside -- similar to what another owner put in the YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-F409uegg

I wonder if you are making a clutch correlation only because it is changing the load on the engine and thus making the sound come and go. I'm reasonably sure I was hearing the standard ignitor tick in your video. However, since I'm not there, I can't tell for sure. If the car really only does it when the clutch pedal is pushed in, then maybe I'm wrong about the ignitor tick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts