Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this problem b4 on my 01 gt,but it was the oil float in the engine bay something minor,but on my cobra I thought it was just due for an oil change butt did that dindnt make any change I just hope my motors bottom end is not going bad,I didn't go with the synthetic this time I went with 5w20 considering the car has lots of miles but has been babied any one with similar problam or tips how to resolve this thanks...

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
What kinda oil filter are you using?

If you was running synthetic why switch?? I have always heard if you go to syn. to stay with it not to switch oils...but hey that is just something I have heard.

Where does the tick sound seem like it is coming from?

Usually tick sounds come from top of motor but not always see if you can verify where about it is coming from.

How many miles on the car? Could be something in heads, timing chain assembly...exc.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Also keep in mind there was problems with the 03-04 cobras heads don't know if your heads are the same or if your heads have even had the problem.

This is the deal with the 03-04 cobra heads!

The sound is simply a worn valve guide allowing the valve stem to move. This is caused by overheating of the area due to poor coolant flow in the part of the left bank cylinder head. The lack of bronze valve guides in the heads makes them even more susceptible.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Also keep in mind there was problems with the 03-04 cobras heads don't know if your heads are the same or if your heads have even had the problem.

This is the deal with the 03-04 cobra heads!

The sound is simply a worn valve guide allowing the valve stem to move. This is caused by overheating of the area due to poor coolant flow in the part of the left bank cylinder head. The lack of bronze valve guides in the heads makes them even more susceptible.
switching oils IMO doesnt seem to be a problem. I mean oil is oil. going from syn to convential shouldnt blow your motor. but i could be wrong there.

yea and i think in addition to what you said the 99 cobras had a problem with the heads but the 01 cobras did not. i thought i had a tick in my 98 cobra but it turns out it was just the injectors making noise. dont know how loud of a ticking noise your hearing but mine was very very low and it turned out to be nothing. good luck though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea sound is not loud but enough to hear when car is idle and in warm temp u can't hear it from the engine bay seems like its coming from the bottom side of the car don't think its an exuast leak because I just changed the bbks for the ceramic basanni x pipes,its really pissing me off the odometer reads 177k but I've already had the cylender head worked on most the miles are high when I traveled for work...maybe ill try another oil...

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
saying oil is oil is like saying an oil filter is an oil filter....and for that there is cases where people installed a cheap ass oil filter on there termi and had a tick noise after start up switch oil filter it goes away switch it back and the noise was there again......there is a very big difference between synth. and conv. oils synth. has molecules that are the same size conv. does not there is a little more to it than it just being an oil!

·
Registered
806 Posts
saying oil is oil is like saying an oil filter is an oil filter....and for that there is cases where people installed a cheap ass oil filter on there termi and had a tick noise after start up switch oil filter it goes away switch it back and the noise was there again......there is a very big difference between synth. and conv. oils synth. has molecules that are the same size conv. does not there is a little more to it than it just being an oil!
kind of, but different oil isnt going to cause a tick issue no matter what kind of oil you use. as long as its 5w 20 or 5w 30 or recommended you will be good. now with the filter yes, there is a difference, different paper grades and the life span of the paper. with the oil there are different life spans as well, ie the syn lasts longer than the conv. and helps reduce friction blah blah blah. but when it boils down to logic oil is oil. just like a motor is a motor. air in and air out. but i do understand what your saying.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Yeah I am not saying that the oil could have caused the tick but who am I to say it did or did not cause it I am no oil expert and far from a expert mechanic either I am not ashamed to admit it but I think I know a good deal for my age but again I learn something new all the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replys, I think ill just go ahead and change the oil and filter to the best stuff..ill let u guys know what happens thanks shown.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts