Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2012 V6 auto and this is a good story. I was just ticketed for "Reasonable/Prudent Speed". IT was 11:30PM. I was in the right lane *pulling up to an intersection at 20MPH*. The left lane was empty. There was cars in the 2 left turn lanes and the cop was in the farthest turn lane. Light turns green. I push the pedal and the car shifts to first and I let go and the engine revs itself. Lights come on and I get pulled over. Officer gives me a ticket based on the conditions (I have the conversation recorded). Nobody was in front of me, nobody was directly to my left, nobody to my right. I revved up in the middle of the intersection just to hear the sound. Ticket reads: "Traffic, Left intersection at high rate of speed"...I was going 20MPH when I revved up and wasn't taking off from a stop, only coasting through the red light. The cop cut across the intersection while the light was green with just his lights, no sound. He also gave me a warning for ""improper muffler". Why? Noise level. I only have the Roush ABs back there. Also note that this particular intersection has an open air concert hall where super loud concerts happen every month and there are no residential areas around. He would not explain what the "conditions" were other than there were cars at the intersection. Does this make sense to you?
*I live in Alabama

28-701 - Reasonable and prudent speed; prima facie evidence; exceptions (full description of the law)

·
Registered
104 Posts
He must be a Camaro fan. That statute sounds like the Nebraska "careless driving" statute, which your description of the incident doesn't fit. If he didn't clock you, or even tell you what he estimated your speed to be, there isn't much of a case unless you were doing something other than what you described. Should be a pretty easy one to contest in court.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you're expecting a full and open discussion in a traffic court you're slightly wrong.
Cop writes ticket. Judge asks how do you plead. You say not guilty. Judge asks cop 2 or 3 questions. May or may not ask you anything and BANG. You're guilty.

Best bet hire the ticket lawyer in your town and let them handle it. No points and a fine.

Art

·
2,797 Posts
If you're expecting a full and open discussion in a traffic court you're slightly wrong.
Cop writes ticket. Judge asks how do you plead. You say not guilty. Judge asks cop 2 or 3 questions. May or may not ask you anything and BANG. You're guilty.

Best bet hire the ticket lawyer in your town and let them handle it. No points and a fine.

Art
What USAF said is what I would do... It is sad if you didn't do anything more than you just said by only simply shifting gears with a slight rev at 20MPH, but I have been in your shoes before. Road was blocked due to power line down or something I can't remember why, but they had people turning around. So at the time I had a 2006 Mustang GT with muffler deletes so yes loud. I made a u-turn as everyone else and proceeded to find another way to where I was going. Seconds after the u-turn I saw lights and as I was taught to do pulled to the right lane to get out the way not knowing it was me the police officer was coming for. He pulled me and said I burned tires and speed away at a high rate of speed... I tried telling him it was just a loud exhaust and may have sounded like I was going at a high rate of speed, but he wasn't having any of it... He proceeded to write me a "fix it" ticket for my tires being to low on tread and "muffler issues" as well as a ticket for careless and wreak less driving at a unknown speed... All was just absurd as I did nothing more than what everyone else was doing. I mean heck their were people in front of me and right behind me... Sometimes I feel like it is just being at the wrong place at the wrong time with an officer having a bad day... NOT ALL POLICE OFFICERS ARE BAD!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What USAF said is what I would do... It is sad if you didn't do anything more than you just said by only simply shifting gears with a slight rev at 20MPH, but I have been in your shoes before. Road was blocked due to power line down or something I can't remember why, but they had people turning around. So at the time I had a 2006 Mustang GT with muffler deletes so yes loud. I made a u-turn as everyone else and proceeded to find another way to where I was going. Seconds after the u-turn I saw lights and as I was taught to do pulled to the right lane to get out the way not knowing it was me the police officer was coming for. He pulled me and said I burned tires and speed away at a high rate of speed... I tried telling him it was just a loud exhaust and may have sounded like I was going at a high rate of speed, but he wasn't having any of it... He proceeded to write me a "fix it" ticket for my tires being to low on tread and "muffler issues" as well as a ticket for careless and wreak less driving at a unknown speed... All was just absurd as I did nothing more than what everyone else was doing. I mean heck their were people in front of me and right behind me... Sometimes I feel like it is just being at the wrong place at the wrong time with an officer having a bad day... NOT ALL POLICE OFFICERS ARE BAD!
I got a ticket last summer for "following too closely" though I was trying to pass someone. I have a recording of the conversation and the officer could not explain what the specific conditions were and just ended the conversation and left. They literally give you a ticket for nothing. I am going to the police department tomorrow, not to try to get my ticket revoked (yet), but for a full explanation of why revving my engine at 20MPH got me an "unreasonable" speed ticket when no one was even close to me.

·
2,797 Posts
I got a ticket last summer for "following too closely" though I was trying to pass someone. I have a recording of the conversation and the officer could not explain what the specific conditions were and just ended the conversation and left. They literally give you a ticket for nothing. I am going to the police department tomorrow, not to try to get my ticket revoked (yet), but for a full explanation of why revving my engine at 20MPH got me an "unreasonable" speed ticket when no one was even close to me.

Good luck with that, but I do have to say I can see that making your situation worse. Best thing to do is just hire the local traffic attorney and let them handle it. The bigger mess to clean up the more the lawyer fees will be... Just my .02

No matter what you choose good luck and hate it for yah.

Reactions: dB Racing

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wow, does your story ever bring back memories from my younger days. Got quite a few tickets, a few totally unwarranted but to be honest mostly very well deserved. Used to pretty much fight every one. Had good results overall and never even close to any suspensions or bad outcomes. Haven't fought a ticket since last year. Wife got a photo radar speeding ticket and I fought it. Won, ticket cancelled. Before that probably about 25 years since last ticket. Fingers crossed, touch wood, etc!

I have to warn you that I am in Canada and don't know if your courts are harsher but I can perhaps give you a bit of advice.

1) If you know you are guilty admit it to yourself and just pay the ticket. Fair is fair. (I didn't know this back in the day.)
2) If you fight it you can probably do anything the ticket guys can do for you. But, you need to prepare. Photos of the area may be of use.
3) Expect to feel really frightened and have a pounding pulse while you are in front of a judge. Have a water bottle to keep your mouth from drying up in pure panic. Usually they provide water but just in case, bring some. Adult diaper is not out of the question for first timers.
4) Copy the list 28-701 that you showed in your post. Address every single point in writing to show you know what is being claimed about you and how each point did not apply to your situation that night. Have extra copies for the judge and prosecutor. Do not have it on a tablet or computer as they may insist on keeping the 'evidence' you provide.
5) If it is like here the prosecutor will call the cop to describe the situation. Remembering what he said his reasons were, prepare questions to ask him to define exactly where he was and how much he could have seen and heard as you approached and then left the intersection. You do not have to fight the cop or try to make him look bad. You will use his answers and testimony when you give your own version. Always be extremely polite and thank him for his answers.
6)When it is your turn to testify you will describe the situation and your understanding of the cop's location and his ability to accurately see and hear you. Go through each point of 28-701 and address how they either do not apply to your situation or were not how you were driving that evening. If you saw the police cruiser when you drove up to the intersection you should tell the judge this. As is sounds like there were very few cars around this would be very likely. A comment like, "I saw the police car as I approached the intersection and so of course I was driving extremely carefully" cannot hurt.
7) You will summarize your testimony at the end and let the judge know that you were astounded to have been pulled over. Be sure to detail how you asked the officer for more info but were unable to get it from him at the time. End with informing the court that you are losing time and money being in court and would not waste the court's time or your own if not for the principle of the matter. Restate that you did nothing that the charge outlines and ask the judge to find you not guilty.

Now, about the mufflers. If the warning did not come with a fine then enough said. I gave a quick search for regs in Alabama re: mufflers. The info I saw said baffled mufflers are required. If I'm not mistaken the Roush may be chamberless straight through design and may not be technically allowed. You would have to check and be sure I saw the current regs and check with Roush if there are indeed baffles. If you find they are not legal and you have access to stock mufflers, even for temporary use, it would go a long way for your credibility with the court if you were able to say you took the officer's statement very seriously and changed them out as to comply.

Good luck.

All the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have my stock mufflers and could re install them and say problem solved then re install the roush mufflers later. My primary point is that I only revved it, so how does that have to do with an unreasonable speed? I am going to ask the officer (if he shows up) what a reasonable speed is. Then ask him did I appear to be a danger to anyone or appear to lose control of my car and if so, does he have concrete evidence? I will explain I had full control over my car as I simply switched to first gear causing the RPMs to jet up, which could sound like I was viciously speeding up, however for this situation when I knew my vehicle reach 1st gear I removed my foot from the gas pedal. I am going to ask him the positions of the other cars (there were none in the lane to the left of me, no one in front of me or behind me or to the right of me). I will ask him what speed he estimates that I was travelling and how it was unreasonable for the situation. I also exercised "reasonable care" for others by making sure all the vehicles were (not directly) behind me and out of the way. I was very much in control of my car.

Anyways, I believe it should be an easy case to win, even without a lawyer. The man just had nothing better to do than harass me for revving my engine and give me a ticket that doesn't apply to how I was driving my vehicle.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well, I'm convinced. Not Guilty!

But there are no guarantees. The judge could have some dink living beside him who revs his loud engine at all hours and decide to make an example of you.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you. Good thing you have the original mufflers. A good start in your relationship with 'The Man'!

All the best.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I still have my stock mufflers and could re install them and say problem solved then re install the roush mufflers later. My primary point is that I only revved it, so how does that have to do with an unreasonable speed? I am going to ask the officer (if he shows up) what a reasonable speed is. Then ask him did I appear to be a danger to anyone or appear to lose control of my car and if so, does he have concrete evidence? I will explain I had full control over my car as I simply switched to first gear causing the RPMs to jet up, which could sound like I was viciously speeding up, however for this situation when I knew my vehicle reach 1st gear I removed my foot from the gas pedal. I am going to ask him the positions of the other cars (there were none in the lane to the left of me, no one in front of me or behind me or to the right of me). I will ask him what speed he estimates that I was travelling and how it was unreasonable for the situation. I also exercised "reasonable care" for others by making sure all the vehicles were (not directly) behind me and out of the way. I was very much in control of my car.

Anyways, I believe it should be an easy case to win, even without a lawyer. The man just had nothing better to do than harass me for revving my engine and give me a ticket that doesn't apply to how I was driving my vehicle.
The advice you got above, to get a local attorney IF it means alot to you to avoid this ticket IS THE BEST AND MOST PRUDENT COURSE OF ACTION

If you were in a business or residential area the reasonable and prudent speed (per statute) is 25
According to the second section, crossing an intersection is a situation where you must REDUCE from what would be otherwise reasonable under the circumstances
So "coasting" up to the light but then dropping to first and accelerating (even though YOU know you intended to lift your foot to the cop it appeared like you just saw him and lifted before you really bolted through the intersection) might cut it.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying if you really don't want to deal with it get a local attorney. HE will be able to tell you "yeah, you don't want to say that **** to the judge, let me talk . . . " or maybe "no problem, the judge drives a Roush too". You don't know when you walk in.

And trust me, people who think they're right and have the law on their side RARELY are believe it or not. Just sayin.

·
2,797 Posts
Wow, does your story ever bring back memories from my younger days. Got quite a few tickets, a few totally unwarranted but to be honest mostly very well deserved. Used to pretty much fight every one. Had good results overall and never even close to any suspensions or bad outcomes. Haven't fought a ticket since last year. Wife got a photo radar speeding ticket and I fought it. Won, ticket cancelled. Before that probably about 25 years since last ticket. Fingers crossed, touch wood, etc!

I have to warn you that I am in Canada and don't know if your courts are harsher but I can perhaps give you a bit of advice.

1) If you know you are guilty admit it to yourself and just pay the ticket. Fair is fair. (I didn't know this back in the day.)
2) If you fight it you can probably do anything the ticket guys can do for you. But, you need to prepare. Photos of the area may be of use.
3) Expect to feel really frightened and have a pounding pulse while you are in front of a judge. Have a water bottle to keep your mouth from drying up in pure panic. Usually they provide water but just in case, bring some. Adult diaper is not out of the question for first timers.
4) Copy the list 28-701 that you showed in your post. Address every single point in writing to show you know what is being claimed about you and how each point did not apply to your situation that night. Have extra copies for the judge and prosecutor. Do not have it on a tablet or computer as they may insist on keeping the 'evidence' you provide.
5) If it is like here the prosecutor will call the cop to describe the situation. Remembering what he said his reasons were, prepare questions to ask him to define exactly where he was and how much he could have seen and heard as you approached and then left the intersection. You do not have to fight the cop or try to make him look bad. You will use his answers and testimony when you give your own version. Always be extremely polite and thank him for his answers.
6)When it is your turn to testify you will describe the situation and your understanding of the cop's location and his ability to accurately see and hear you. Go through each point of 28-701 and address how they either do not apply to your situation or were not how you were driving that evening. If you saw the police cruiser when you drove up to the intersection you should tell the judge this. As is sounds like there were very few cars around this would be very likely. A comment like, "I saw the police car as I approached the intersection and so of course I was driving extremely carefully" cannot hurt.
7) You will summarize your testimony at the end and let the judge know that you were astounded to have been pulled over. Be sure to detail how you asked the officer for more info but were unable to get it from him at the time. End with informing the court that you are losing time and money being in court and would not waste the court's time or your own if not for the principle of the matter. Restate that you did nothing that the charge outlines and ask the judge to find you not guilty.

Now, about the mufflers. If the warning did not come with a fine then enough said. I gave a quick search for regs in Alabama re: mufflers. The info I saw said baffled mufflers are required. If I'm not mistaken the Roush may be chamberless straight through design and may not be technically allowed. You would have to check and be sure I saw the current regs and check with Roush if there are indeed baffles. If you find they are not legal and you have access to stock mufflers, even for temporary use, it would go a long way for your credibility with the court if you were able to say you took the officer's statement very seriously and changed them out as to comply.

Good luck.

All the best.
I feel like everybody that reads this owes you in legal fees for the advice. hahaha :wink:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Whats the fine gonna cost you, more or less than the lawyer...I think it'll be less, seeing how most lawyers today make $100 an hour or more. Might just be better in the long run to pay the fine and move on.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
My guess - wrong forum and all - is that this was a case where a loud exhaust attracted unwanted attention.

The risk you take.

Norm

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Telling you this as a retired policeman...

Most departments require the officer to turn in a "Trip Sheet" at the end of each shift. This sheet is actually a shift activity report for statistical entry into a records database. If the officer was below the rank of Sgt., he will be pressured to increase his stats but not given an actual (unlawful) quota.

If he truly gave you a bogus ticket just to enhance his stats on a slow shift, he likely won't show up for court unless he has other items on an appearance docket that day.

You can speak for yourself if you want, but... If you want the thing dismissed and totally disappear, get a traffic lawyer. A well known one at that. What he will do is take a boatload of tickets to the traffic ADA and cut a group deal. Only the worst of the worst will have entries remaining on record, but at a great reduction of adjudication costs from the court.

This lawyer will likely cost you more than a POSSIBLE fine would have, but your record will be unscathed. Also keep in mind, the size of the venue. Small venues are more difficult to deal with.

If you are in fact operating with prohibited equipment, blame yourself for calling attention to the car. As Norm said, a loud exhaust begs for attention and it seems you got some.

Good Luck - I hope it's all dismissed quickly.

·
Administrator
13,233 Posts
Also, don`t forget the insurance factor. If you get points, yours will go up. Get a lawyer as advised.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
517 Posts
You obviously weren't speeding or putting anyone in danger, but revving up in the vicinity of a cop is asking for it. Plus those Roush axlebacks are known for being loud which didn't help your case either. If this is a zero point violation, just pay the ticket online and move on. Lawyers can help you from racking up points but hiring one will cost more than paying the ticket if there are no points involved, and standing in front of a judge isn't going to allow you to have open dialogue with the cop/judge. Traffic courts don't have time to hear everyone's story.

Next time just keep it down. Let off the gas and coast if you need to.

·
Registered
559 Posts
So now based off this info, they need to pull over every Harley after 10pm at night, right??

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hopefully not my Harley and I run GT500 quads so if loud pipes save lives I'm gonna live forever.
My advice is to decide whether the monetary and points are worth the trouble and go from there - I feel ya for the unfairness of it all but sometimes it's better to take the hit and move on.
If you are gonna fight it then don't go anywhere near the Roush axle back thing - you drive a legal vehicle in a safe manner - you never get tickets or in accidents and you are mystified as to why this happened - remember cops are people too and we all make mistakes or act unreasonably sometimes. Last ticket I fought the judge really grilled the officer not me. It's free to consult most traffic lawyers so again weigh the cost vs the consequences and most importantly - do not be revving up near a cop when you have his 21 yr old daughter in the car >:)>:)

Reactions: UUUd444

·
Registered
27 Posts
20 MPH in first seems like you would have to mat that pedal to get there? Loud exhaust nearly floored, and with an officer near by? Might be more to this story than you are leading on. You can fight it but sounds like you hammered the gas and the officer was doing his job. I dont know tho i wasnt there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts