Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some ticking from my engine and it only does it under load, 2nd or 3rd gear full throttle, the motor runs fine. it didnt start doing it until i did the timing, i timed it at 10 degrees and the engine ran too hot and it was ticking, im guessing it was pinging. eventually i ended up running 3 degrees timing and it runs the best but still some ticking though not as bad. I did have a msd 6al installed but I disconnected it to see if that was the problem...it still has the problem. any suggestions?

·
Registered
941 Posts
something is not right it should be around 12deg has the motor been apart before

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I was told the motor was rebuilt about 40,000 miles ago, I didnt check the timing when I put it in cuz I didnt have a timing pointer, I took one off of my bros 91 5.0. the engine had no problems until I adjusted the timing. The distributor and clamp was painted with the engine so I had to turn it to break it loose before I started the motor so thats why I didnt check to see where the timing was at before I started.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That's called detonation, you back off the timing a degree at the time till the noise stops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.