Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've just bought a 05 Mustang GT (88,000 miles) - picked it up for C$7,000 on the basis that the engine appears to be knocking. I went for it as it might not be a massive issue. Further investigation online suggests that it might be the Cam Phasers, but I don't really know what these are or do, and whether it is a massive job or not?

The ticking is audible at idle, but disappears when the engine is revved. The car also holds about 1,500rpm on a cold start for 30 seconds or so, but this might just be a Mustang thing.

See video below:

Is anyone able to identify the issue?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Now that you own the car, take it to a shop for diagnoses.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
That does sound like a phaser knock, and you can use a mechanic's stethoscope to localize the noise.
It's a common problem on 3V engines if they've been revved hard (and they do love to rev) and if oil changes have been neglected.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Uh yeah, I recently replaced my 2005 4.6's entire timing chain kit, phasers, chain, guides. tensioners and sprockets because of a tick like that, at 73,000 miles. It all started with an unrelated random miss caused by plug coils that can't take the heat, but led my mechanic to discover the chain issues before a catastrophic failure the old school way, with a stethoscope instead of a computer. He heard serious clicking and clacking coming from the cam covers and the chain covers on both sides of the engine. The 3V's can use a lot of oil, as much as a quart or even two between extended changes like mine. Dunno where it went, no smoke, no spots, no leaks. It probably went back down the intake. My throttle body looked like the inside of a cave at midnight. About $2,000.00 later it's all better. I watch my oil level like an eagle watching a trout now. Look at the odd wear on the tensioners and guides. If you think that's bad, you should see the chains. They're supposed to look like a motorcycle chain but one side is worn completely flat and smooth like a super expensive ultra contemporary designer watch band.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dang! I thought mine were bad at 175k! No where near worn through like that. The stationary guide on the passenger side had a piece broken off and lying next to the trigger wheel. I use 1qt oil about every 1300 miles now. No smoke, spots, or leaks either, but I figure its just a little bit getting by the valve stem seals piston rings. I'm at 263k miles now.

Reactions: Dana W

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some great responses here which I really really appreciate. Thanks also to Dana for such a comprehensive response.

I bought the car with eyes wide open so factored a meaty repair bill into the price I paid. Car has had an oil change, is now being driven gently and is booked in for Tuesday to sort out the timing issues.

Will report back later next week for the benefit of the wider internet.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Knock on wood, the oil level in my engine (92k miles) hardly moves at all in between 5k mile oil changes. I have catch cans on the passenger and driver's side. The passenger side is bone dry and the driver's side only has a trace of oil after 5k miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the local mechanic said that he couldn't localise the ticking down to any specific area of the engine. He recommended that I just carry on driving it on the basis it'll probably be fine. Ultimately the cost of works starts to approach the value of the car.

See you in 3 months when i'm stranded in the Yukon somewhere and need all your help.

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Well the local mechanic said that he couldn't localise the ticking down to any specific area of the engine. He recommended that I just carry on driving it on the basis it'll probably be fine. Ultimately the cost of works starts to approach the value of the car.

See you in 3 months when i'm stranded in the Yukon somewhere and need all your help.
I know it’s a PITA, but I would find another shop. Not sure if this was a Ford tech. or not, but, if so, go to a different dealer.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Dana, now you got me worried, I have 77k on my 05" GT, no issues thus far but now this is going to be in the back of my mind lol

·
Registered
3,580 Posts

You could start saving up for a Coyote swap. ;)

·
Registered
2007 Mustang GT 4.6 3V Supercharged
7 Posts
Uh yeah, I recently replaced my 2005 4.6's entire timing chain kit, phasers, chain, guides. tensioners and sprockets because of a tick like that, at 73,000 miles. It all started with an unrelated random miss caused by plug coils that can't take the heat, but led my mechanic to discover the chain issues before a catastrophic failure the old school way, with a stethoscope instead of a computer. He heard serious clicking and clacking coming from the cam covers and the chain covers on both sides of the engine. The 3V's can use a lot of oil, as much as a quart or even two between extended changes like mine. Dunno where it went, no smoke, no spots, no leaks. It probably went back down the intake. My throttle body looked like the inside of a cave at midnight. About $2,000.00 later it's all better. I watch my oil level like an eagle watching a trout now. Look at the odd wear on the tensioners and guides. If you think that's bad, you should see the chains. They're supposed to look like a motorcycle chain but one side is worn completely flat and smooth like a super expensive ultra contemporary designer watch band. View attachment 778188 View attachment 778189 View attachment 778190
That’s a lot of Pit Bull... we have a 75 pounder and she’s truly a bull in a china shop... nothing but energy and solid muscle. I can’t image 90 lbs of Pit throwing all that muscle around when they get excited!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Yeah, Bubba is a bull with or without a china shop in no uncertain terms. Some people think Pit Bull type (not a breed) dogs are muscle bound slow monsters. Nothing could be further from the truth. He can run like a rocket and with those muscles can hit full speed in only a couple of strides. AND he loves everybody including anything with four legs. His real name is Carl. My daughter named him after a baby book Rottweiler character. Carl is pretty much a Baby Huey. He and our little boy orange tabby cat are BFF's. He thinks our 10 year old girl Pit Bull Daisy is his mommy.

Pit bulls like most terriers get what's referred to as The Zoomies. This is when they spontaneously expend pent up energy by maniacally running around as hard as they can go for a few minutes. We have a quarter acre back yard and he will do figure eights over and over for five or ten minutes out there covering the whole yard.

A week ago he and Daisy were playing in the house (Yeeek!) and he literally destroyed a 3 foot by 7 foot high wooden shelf unit just by running into it, and I mean out with the trash destroyed.

He is about 20 lbs overweight though because my wife has him on a 'see food' diet. She sees food she gives it to him. She loves him too much, and can't resist giving him treats. I think we have her under control now. She would come home with expensive "gourmet" treats like chicken jerky and other stuff.

Alright, back to cars. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, never ask me about my dogs.:D

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Registered
27 Posts

Unless it's vital, I have learned to accept a few idiosyncrasies about my car. I've always
been a big fan of "If it's not broke, don't fix it...yet...".
But then, if fundage isn't an issue, that's always a factor.
Heck, in the Military, we used to go by "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyways."
When I bought my Stang there was a sound coming from the rear transaxle and sounded like the whole rear end needed replacing so I allocated some funds but decided to wait until it got worse. 2 1/2 years later it still makes that same noise.
Let us know if it gets worse.
Heck, let us know if it gives out.
Maybe someone's idea of the perfect winter sport is a road trip to the Yukon!
Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dana, when my wife and I were married, our first "child" was a full blood American Pit Bull that weighed in about at much as Aggie's 75 pounder. Truly they do not understand their own power especially when they get excited! And their tails will clear off a coffee table under 5 seconds. Best animal we ever had. Taught both our sons how to walk. lol

About that timing chain worn smooth... bro, I would have had to make something cool out of that!
Peace!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
In stock form, theses engines have been commonly referred to as sounding like sewing machines.
Someone here mentioned the injector tick, which enhances the sewing machine noise.
While I put my "like" on some responses, I'm leaning towards that your video sounds like a stock engine and there is no reason to panic yet.
Oil is still cheap, cheaper than tearing your motor apart. Keep clean oil in her and keep your ears open for any change in sound.
I honestly think you don't have any problems right now.

Reactions: Dana W

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's very comforting, thanks MarylandGT. I've always been one to keep on top of oil changes.

Becoming used to the noise now. Intrigued by the noisy injectors comment for the 05-06 models. I recently sold a pair of front headlights to a guy who turned up with his 07 Mustang. I used the opportunity to compare engine noises and his was definitely quieter and less 'ticky'.

Starting to think that the car is a bit of a bargain for $7,000 Canadian at 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Intrigued by the noisy injectors comment for the 05-06 models. I recently sold a pair of front headlights to a guy who turned up with his 07 Mustang. I used the opportunity to compare engine noises and his was definitely quieter and less 'ticky'.
Both of our previous 06 GT's had the injector ticking. Mine 08 does not.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Dana, when my wife and I were married, our first "child" was a full blood American Pit Bull that weighed in about at much as Aggie's 75 pounder. Truly they do not understand their own power especially when they get excited! And their tails will clear off a coffee table under 5 seconds. Best animal we ever had. Taught both our sons how to walk. lol

About that timing chain worn smooth... bro, I would have had to make something cool out of that!
Peace!
I am kicking myself for not keeping the chain. Yup, I never regretted adopting either of our "monsters". AND they are great for security, at least in appearance, but not so much in practice. They'd rather not be disturbed if they've gone to bed.😍

Reactions: Gregomatic
1 - 20 of 21 Posts