Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was getting ready to buy a new timing chain and i was told that timing gears are better what do you guys think

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
If you mean a gear drive, there's pros and cons. The gear drive does take slightly more power to turn, and it takes grinding the back side of the timing cover for it to fit, but it's far more accurate and easier to install. The chain is cheaper and is silent to operate. But lastly, you can use a gear drive for years, even reuse it from engine to engine, as long as it doesn't get overheated (when it turns blue) or get tooth damage. I run a Pete Jackson on mine and have used it since 1993. It's been in 3 engines since then and it looks brand new.

·
Registered
514 Posts
hmm usually the the gears come with the chain? right i mean i think i would know i blasted through 2 of them with in a year ha

·
Super Moderator
39,979 Posts
i prefer a gear drive,like Eagle said....they are better....

·
Registered
504 Posts
+3 on the gear drive. It's more accurate and will never get worn out like a chain will. Yes, you could break a tooth, but the odds of that happening are pretty slim.
The noise is a little strange at first, but after a while you get used to it. I don't really hear mine anymore.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I hardly hear mine too although others think I'm blown with it. Maybe that's why I can't get any challengers...

·
Registered
41,829 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have an Edelbrock gear drive since '95. Works great and the whine along w/ supercharger is quite nice.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Survey says... gear drive. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.