Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 14K miles the clutch on my whipple charged 4.6 is going and soon will be gone. I actually ran it at my local dragstrip on Friday (Wisconsin International Raceway) and layed down a first run of 13.337 at 110 MPH. The second run I roasted the clutch halfway thru the run so I just lipmed it back to the pits and eventually went home. I am actually surprised that the stock unit held up to the 493 HP (that the dyno said it has) as long as it did. So anyways I am looking at the HUGE variety of clucthes that are made for my year and engine.( 2008 4.6, 3 valve) I see that Americanmuscle.com has a nice stage I, II and III clutch selection made by SPEC for about $354 with pressure plate. I use this car to drive in town and go on an occational trip so I am NOT looking for a super heavy clutch that will kill my leg after a few blocks. I am also not looking for a clutch that will be hard to engage either(can we say Ram Metallic or old style centerforce?) So I want a real world idea of what to buy and where to buy it. Please be truthful and dont say any thing like " Well my buddy has a ram metallic and he drives it all the time in the city with NO PROBLEMS." This only tells you are LYING or probably have no clue! LOL:D. Thanks in advance.

S

·
0 Posts
You will get a mild leg workout with a spec clutch. Wayne Gretzky might not notice. I had a Spec clutch in my car when I bought it and had to be replaced as it was substantially worn. I certainly could tell how much easier the pedal pressure was when I replaced it with a different clutch. My clutch has to be replaced aswell. I am looking for some answers on this too. From being on this forum I have paid attention to a few peoples's post on their clutches, however I find some inconsistencies. Yesterday I was looking for clutches in forums and a guy Nastystang113, I think, was saying his Exedy 500 (P51) clutch didn't last for even a few thousand miles. He claimed he broke it in properly and it was never right. He also replaced all the normal stuff: slave cylinder, pilot (throwout) bearing, flywheel...and claimed that several other people with the same clutch had issues aswell and that Roush is switching brands. A guy on this forum KDT, raves about the Exedy clutch though. I am pretty sure there will be people who have had problems and those who have not with the exact same clutch. Sqidd runs a Spec stage 2+ and I haven't heard him complain about it yet. A lot of people were jumping on the McLeod RST twin disk bandwagon. Everybody that I have read about the McLeod RST is happy with it. Lighter than stock pedal feel and it has substantial holding. It's pricey though. So since you didn't want to hear about my buddy has this or that: Spec clutches have noticeably siffer pedal feel is what I got for you.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Huh, didn't know so many people were having problems with the Exedy's. I was actually considering them after being talked out of a Centerforce.

My clutch is still hanging on for now but I can tell it's getting a little weakish.

Subscribing...
-HD

·
Registered
406 Posts
I dyno'd similar numbers to you 485/455 @11lbs of boost a couple weeks ago, The stock clutch held up for 5 1/4mile runs on street tires with no problem, the tires spun 1st-2nd and into 3rd but I was running 12.5xx's @119, Then I bolted on a set of M&H drag radials and smoked the stock clutch on the 1st shift into 2nd,, I really expected that to happen ..

My BIL sourced an ACT FM2-HDSS , clutch/pressure platekit, for $325 .. The ACT clutch's appear to be popular with the ricers,, That Mustang clutch is rated to hold 566 ft lbs of torque, I took it easy for 250miles to break it in and strapped the drag radials back on yesterday and dropped the clutch at 4-grand and ran my best ever 1/4mile at 11.89 @121 ...

The M&H Drag radial are da' shetz ..

The clutch pedal is about twice the stocker so it isn't bad at all,,

Hopefully the ACT will last longer the 3650,, I have a feeling a 26-spline rebuild maybe near ...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
" My BIL sourced an ACT FM2-HDSS , clutch/pressure platekit, for $325 .. "

Where did he get this at this price? I found one on Summit but it was $485. I am interested in its street manners. Is it hard to engage nice and easy off the line? We have too many ticket happy cops here that will write you up for a simple chirp from your tires.

·
Registered
406 Posts
" My BIL sourced an ACT FM2-HDSS , clutch/pressure platekit, for $325 .. "

Where did he get this at this price? I found one on Summit but it was $485. I am interested in its street manners. Is it hard to engage nice and easy off the line? We have too many ticket happy cops here that will write you up for a simple chirp from your tires.

He works as a mechanic at a garage and got the clutch from one of their suppliers,, I'd not heard of ACT but after doing some googling, I decided to use it,, That and the fact I needed to replace the clutch slave cylinder which was leaking like a sieve even though it's only 15-months old and has 20,000 miles on it,, I got raped by the FORD dealer parts counter that was right down the road,, they charged the full $285 retail price on that bee-otch... As the saying goes,, Let the modd'ing begin, and the depletion of your bank account shall follow ...

Anyhoo,, I digress, The cheapest place I saw the ACT clutch is from THMotorsports Inc. They're advertising it for 382.50 with free shipping, So, I'm guessing 325 is close to wholesale pricing ...

THM appears to be a quality organization, they're a sponsor of the WannaGOFAST Carrabelle speed festival which I'll be at on July 30th,

ACT Clutch Kit - Heavy Duty (HD) FORD MUSTANG GT 2005 - 2009 4.6 FM2-HDSS

So far the clutch feels stiffer than the stocker,, I've only got 600miles on it, I haven't raced off the line from any red-lights, or such, , but it hooked pretty violently at the strip with drag radials, I pulled a 1,84 60' without trying very hard, My best 60' prior to that was a 2.1, with the tires spinning,

I think something else in the drive train will break before this clutch goes ... so no more 4,000rpm launches for me ...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love my Spec +2 clutch and Spec steel billet flywheel. No issues yet. I smoked my Zoom stage 3 clutch and flywheel in 3000 miles. The Spec setup had been in for about 4000 now with not a issue. Drives like a stock setup. No Chattering or "Race car" like habits out of it on street use. I drive my car pretty hard and visit the dragstrip often. No slicks yet, but soon.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
As long as they are bedded in (broken in) correctly I have had great luck with the Spec clutches. Stage II and Stage IIII.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just had an Exedy Mach 700 clutch installed when I did my 6-speed swap. Its a 5 puck cerametallic clutch disk, exedy pressure plate and lightweight flywheel. Still not all the way through the break in period, but overall impression so far, I like it. It does chatter under low RPMs if you slip it too much (getting it moving in 1st) but it is getting progressively less as the clutch beds in. The way I figure it, I can sacrifice a little ease of drivability as compared to a stock clutch to have a clutch that is dependable while holding more power. Just my 2c

1 - 9 of 9 Posts