Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I went to the track last night , first time in 4 weeks. I ran a 12.340 best time of the night. Which was my first run. I then went up from there. I am thinking plugs, maybe. Then on my last run, I went to do my burnout and it felt like my traction control was on. Could not do much of a burnout at all. I am calling Doug at Bama to see if it is tune related. My last time I went to the track I ran a 12.092, how can I go up that much?:so Is it the heat , plugs ,tune or all 3? I will pull the plugs and post some pics in the morning.:wavey

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Heat is a killer! heat soak will cause the motor to start pulling timing.

It affects you and the car!

For the car this is when I start packing the Larger Ice chest and fans. I have a small generator and I use it to run two high speed fans placed on the motor. I then take a bag of ice and wrap it in a towel and place it on top of the blower.

i have my IC pump wired to come on in the accessory position the key. I then fill and drain the IC box with ice and let it circulate. i can go through 10-12 bags of ice on a trip to the track!!

I can't get an electric water pump for my motor because they don't make on. However, you should look into one for your 4.6!

In regards to yourself; shutting someone in a closed car with out air conditioning is a crime if you do it to a child or pet during the summer......for us it's just racing. It slows your reactions and mess with your judgement.

i actually have a vest that holds ice packs that I wear under my race jacket. helps keep the body cool. I also keep a wet towel in the car to wipe my face with while in the lanes. It gets HOT in all that gear!!:gringreen

R

·
0 Posts
+1 on Eric's comments....

heat is a killer.......

thanks Eric the next time i redlight or can't fine 3rd gear now i can blame it on the weather.....:)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
+1 on Eric's comments....

heat is a killer.......

thanks Eric the next time i redlight or can't fine 3rd gear now i can blame it on the weather.....:)
It's funny now but it wasn't at the time.

I actually almost got heat stroke at one race. The track surface was 170 degree's. There I am shut up in the car and they have a delay.......felt like i was in there forever.......got so confused, sweat in my eye's I purged instead of hitting the line locks......by the time I got to stage the car my hand started shaking so bad it slipped of the transbrake button.

Red lit but was aware enough that something was definitely wrong and aborted the run. Cruzed through the traps at 35 with the windows down.

That's when I started planning for the weather!:gringreen

I also didn't have a crew with me at the time. Not anymore! i got someone with me all the way till I launch. If they shutdown the track he knows to get me out of the car. Open the doors whatever. In the car you just can't hear what is going on or see everything.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I know that heat is the killer and I just hate it. I am getting a Meziere water pump and relay soon. I need the extra Hp as well. Well the HP freed up anyhoo. I also sprayed at 1150 and I was reading how the ZEX kit`s solenoids do not like to open with that much pressure. Also on my last run my car acted like the traction control was on during my burn out. Yes I turned it off and the light was on. I think I will call Doug and ask him if this could be tune related. Yea I also left the bottle heater on to long and came back and the pressure went up to 1250. Man I was making mistake after mistake. I did my burnout my first run with the nitrous on. I forgot to turn it off after the purge. Oh well this is how you learn. I felt like a rookie. I then let to much air out of my tires, I droped it to 17.5. I do much better with more air. My car just needs more power , bottom line.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Yea I know that heat is the killer and I just hate it. I am getting a Meziere water pump and relay soon. I need the extra Hp as well. Well the HP freed up anyhoo. I also sprayed at 1150 and I was reading how the ZEX kit`s solenoids do not like to open with that much pressure. Also on my last run my car acted like the traction control was on during my burn out. Yes I turned it off and the light was on. I think I will call Doug and ask him if this could be tune related. Yea I also left the bottle heater on to long and came back and the pressure went up to 1250. Man I was making mistake after mistake. I did my burnout my first run with the nitrous on. I forgot to turn it off after the purge. Oh well this is how you learn. I felt like a rookie. I then let to much air out of my tires, I droped it to 17.5. I do much better with more air. My car just needs more power , bottom line.
Yeah, the ZEX ZMU can be finicky. That's why I never sprayed mine over 950. It just wasn't reliable after that! Especially in the HEAT!! that's when I always had my issues!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the ZEX ZMU can be finicky. That's why I never sprayed mine over 950. It just wasn't reliable after that! Especially in the HEAT!! that's when I always had my issues!
Yea I know that the NCM is a hunk of junk. I am looking to remedy that though. I may sell this kit and go with another like Nirtous Express or maybe Triple Threat.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Honestly, it's a great kit for someone that's never sprayed before. kind of helps protection from yourself if you know what I mean? I had one on the GT and used it for along time. Used it to spray the blower also. Zex kit is good for what it is.

You got enough experience and are comfortable with it enough now that a set of dedicated solenoids are probably due!:gringreen

R

·
0 Posts
You have to be this tall to get on this ride.....

-n2o
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-N/A

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had problems with the Zex kit too. If you are over 1000, your are asking for inconsistency. I sometimes had to purge off the pressure, but then you are just wasting nitrous at $4.50lb......
Yea I hate wasting Nitrous, I always just inhale it.:nogrinner

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I went out again this last Friday night. I ran a best of 12.200. I totally blew the tires off my first run, I was not happy. I had only 28 lbs of pressure in the drag radials. :so So then I let the air out to 17.5 which was good. I hooked and hit the 12.200. I got it down now, and know what to do next time. I got the bottle pressurE at 1000, I purge and hit it at 950. I also know which lane not to get in. The right lane is bumpy since they had that Monster Truck thing a coulple weeks back. It did make for a fun ride. It is a little scarry when you get all over the track, I DID keep it im my lane and not twards the other lane.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Now entering the pucker factor......:gringreen
Been there, done that. It's a much nicer ride when you don't have to be sawing the steering wheel at the big end!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No it was not bad, did make the run a little more interesting.
Tallk about interesting, has anyone heard from PLSTANG?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.