Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if a timing chain cover off a 1985 V8 Carbureted engine fit on a 1991 5.0 HO engine? I have decided that I want to put a mechanical fuel pump on my car. It has had a EFI to carb conversion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question I thought someone would ask that. Basically for simplicity sake and I can get rid of a few more wires. The person that owned the car before did the EFI to Carb conversion. He put a carter pump under the hood with a regulator and the car doesn't run worth a darn after a while. It seems to run short of fuel, mainly at idle it will stall and not start. I think it is vapor locking because of the location he put the pump. To wire in a better pump at the rear I will need to try and figure out what he did with wiring. A mechanical pump would be very simple for me. I wouldn't have to worry about an inertia switch, regulator or any of the other things that go along with it. Most people have told me to put in another electric pump but mount it properly. The mechanical one is straight forward with no messing around. I am old school and electronics are not my bag.
Thanks

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I think those pumps are designed for carbed motors not EFI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a carbed engine now. It used to be EFI. That is why I would like to go to mechanical pump. It currently has a carter pump 5 - 7 psi with a regulator. (not sure if a regulator is even required with that pump) Thanks

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Yeah just get a good mech and everything will be fine. That cover will work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks spdjnky 42, I have no problem with the mechanics part of it once I get the right parts. Thanks again. I think I like the idea of teh mech pump. Others will strongly disagree with me on that topic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.