Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 99 GT with an annoying metal on metal noise coming from the engine most of the time. The noise only occurs at cruising speeds and completely goes away if I push on the throttle or when the car is decelerating. I can only explain the noise as a tap tap tap noise - not a knock. I am wondering if this may be a timing chain tensioner-related problem. Also it is much more difficult to duplicate this noise by simply opening the hood and opening the throttle - much worse while driving. The car has 76k miles on it, and the problem seems to only get worse these days. Anybody have a similar problem?? or any suggestions??

·
Registered
210 Posts
alright im good at this since i have experienced it. if its what my problem was your about to dive into a non existent wallet. ROD BEARINGS- i didnt want to believe it at first but after numerous people telling me timing chain tensioners and the guides and maybe lifters or a bad oil pump or even a bad exhaust valve, nope nope nope and nope. it was rod bearings so i brought my car to al papitto and had him build me a complete motor. does the sound get faster and louder as you accelerate? and does it only do it at certain rpm ranges? heres a few pictures of the bearings i actually just got back from picking them up. the car had 60,000 miles on it.
my engine builder there has never ever been any problems with the timing chain tensioners or guides, i didnt want to believe it but if you hold one yourself you will see what i am talking about
Attached Images
P8070004.JPG (616.0 KB, 12 views)
P8070013.JPG (593.1 KB, 9 views)
P8070012.JPG (583.5 KB, 4 views)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i have the same probelm but my left timing guide was worn down and the chian was touching the matel on the guide i change the chians guids and tensioners but not the gears and it is still giving me taping nose HELP ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.