Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my timing cover. My problem is this:

I've got a one piece, rubber oil pan gasket. I don't like the idea of cutting the gasket flush with the block and then replacing the "ears" with cork gasket material (comes in Felpro timing cover gasket set. I don't even understand how this would work...Anyone done this without problems down the road?

Was thinking about buying a new one piece rubber and then trying to mate it to the original gasket using a ton of rtv goop.

Thoughts?? Thanks guys.:bigthumbsup

P.S. Never seen a TC replacement gasket set with RUBBER ears...very curious

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, slight tear near inside lip of pan, and also a pretty significant tear/ pinch right near where the gasket meets the block.
The "U" shaped portion seperated from one of the side gaskets as well...
I wish I had the means to just do the whole gasket, but I just don't...

Thanks, you're always there to answer my ?'s. It's appreciated.:bigthumbsup

I'm really leaning towards a new one piece gasket and cutting that to fit, with the rtv where the ends meet the block...I know you're not psychic, but you think that might "bond" the rubber well enough???

·
Registered
394 Posts
I installed a new timing chain, and did not want to cut my one piece rubber oil pan gasket. So I just replaced the cover gasket and the seal.
But later that day I had a small oil leak coming from the front of the oil pan, just enough to piss me off.
The next day I took everything back off. Went back to Autozone and bought another gasket kit. This time a used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel, and cut the rubber oil pan all the way to the block. I used the supplied rubber piece and cork pieces, and RTV'd the **** out of it.
Put everything back together again, and this time it all held up good.
Don't take the chance. Just do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
^^^ Same here. I used the cork with black RTV and it worked just fine. I cut the rubber gasket with a razor knife flush with the block and dabbed a 1/8" bead of RTV along the block before installing the cork and cover. Holding up just fine. I couldn't find one with rubber ears either....

I hope you changed you're timing chain while you were in there...if it has high mileage!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm gonna follow your advice...I'll post in a few days to let you know how it turns out. If I don't, it means I've jumped off a bridge somewhere...:laugh:

P.S. Checking on timing chains as we speak. :yup: Thanks again for the input! I don't wanna do this twice.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I would also suggest some ultra black rtv and use it around the corners and make sure it is clean clean clean. Also give it time to set and dry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts