Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's a pretty general question. What cam, injectors, heads (aluminum, iron), fuel pressure, ignition components, etc, etc. all play a factor in that.

·
Registered
636 Posts
set the timing at 10* base to start, but each engine setup is different. i wouldnt want much higher on a boosted car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
need help with my car breaking up

ok so my car runs good but at 3200 rpm car breaks ups real bad.... 5.0 e 303 cam stock block 39lbs injectors stock intake stock heads with a t4 turbo

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
We need to know more about the car. What type of ignition, what is the timing at now, how many pounds of boost blah blah blah....

·
Registered
174 Posts
you need to be retarding the time 1 degree per pound of boost. If not you will most likely lean out, hinse the breaking up at 3200 rpm. Further more you need to be adding feul with boost to keep your air to feul ratio safe as well. the main factor that determines this is how much power do you want to make, do you have enough feul support, etc. on a stock bottom end i wouldnt put anymore than 10 psi. My setup is running 33 degrees of total time at 3k rpms, but im retarding my time 1 degree per pound of boost and adding 4 psi of feul pressure with the feul management unit. You need to get a good timing curve to make your setup as efficeient and harmless as possible to your engine componets. To give you a rough idea i would say with a turbo setup running 10 psi i would install the msd boost timing master, set the start point at 1-2 psi and take out 1 degree of time per pound of boost, I would also install the correct feul management unit to add feul for boost, and have a 255 pump to support the system. But to start out set the base time at 10 degrees with the spout connector out and lock it down and put the spout back in. I would keep it out of boost until you get it to a dyno to further advance your time. Once you have a good tune on the car and a good feul and ignition system you can run a little more time and be sufficient

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You do not retard your timing 1* for ea pound of boost. You need to have your car tuned or buy the equipment to do so (Moates quarterhorse or Tweecer) or your going to be buying a new motor.

·
Registered
174 Posts
mine is being retarted by the msd boost timing master 1 degree per pound after 2 pounds and adding 4psi feul on a 4 to 1 fmu per pound the dyno helped me more than anything. I was way off before i did a few pulls

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Timing master is a big help. Depends on the build most on go 1* per 2# of boost per 10*btdc

·
Registered
174 Posts
yes sir Its running good since i got the new shortblock put in it from the crankshaft breaking as i was talking to you about before. Its already got almost 7k miles on it and gets decent gas mileage so i can live with it.:cooldude:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.