Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site has helped me out a great deal! Now I need more help. I can't really find anything on how to set the base timing on my 90 5.0L. I just installed TFS TW heads, Cobra intake, and 24# injectors. I already have a 65mm TB, and 73mm MAF, also have 1.72 SVO stud mounted roller rockers. I'm getting some slight back firing about 2k rpm, and have played with the timing and can't seem to get it right. Not sure if it needs to be set at 0 degrees at TDC, or 10 degress BTDC, tried both. Need to know if there's someplace on the web that can help me, or if someone here can help me get this thing right. I do have to pull the valve covers off and re-adjust the rockers, and I think that should help some, being I have a few that are tapping a bit. Any help would be great. Oh, like is said above, have tried 0 and 10 degress on the timing marks on the balencer.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
You are setting the timing with the distributor plug pulled (the small black one) right ?

Hook your inductive timing light around the #1 spark plug wire and give it power and ground.

Loosen the distributor hold down bolt (1/2" wrench needed).
Point the timing gun at the balancer with the plug removed. Turn the distributor so that it is at the 10 after the 0 mark.

Tighten the bolt back down, make it stayed at the same spot and put the plug back in. Done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gost! That is how I have been setting the timing. Although I think I found part of my running problems. There was some coolent leaking into the intake from the EGR plate, I think I used the wrong gasket there? Well, needless to say, the EGR plate won't be used being the Cobra intake has a EGR spot already on it, and I also have a TB spacer that I'm going to try out in the EGR plates place. I also readjusted my roller rockers, so everything sould be good now. Thanks again, and I'll keep ya post on how it turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.