Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My qeustion's:
1. if I leave the timing spout out. the cpu cannot add its advance and my timing will stay put?
2. Im running 8 psi from my turbo... When I sart this thing up in a few days, myt timing is at 13 now, If i adjust that up to like 20 and "lockdown" the timing due to the boost will i make good power.
3. If you are running boost with no retard(lol), what is your timing set at start-up?

i ask this because the previous owner of the vehicle ran this turbo set-up and made a lil over 400 to the wheels. he had no timing retar, nor a fmu...he blew a head gasket..im thinkin due to leaning out... i want to avoid this.... i have 24 lb ford injectors and a 10:1 fmu.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You cannot run boost without a tune. Your fuel and timing curve has to be changed from what the factory ecm settings are. Otherwise you will end up with a blown head gasket or worse. I also recommend meth, e85 (which requires 40% bigger inj) or a cooler w/ that much boost. You will produce more hp and keep from blowing the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a air to air cooler.. and I undertand the emphassis on gettin a tune. thats down the road. For now though, to make it driveable to the dyno... im amussuming that i could lock the timing in at 20 degrees . i have an aod and when one looks at the timing advance of the eec Total timing, based of 10 degrees from factory, MY a9l eec has a total of 18 degrees at 1800 and 28 at 22000. so under full boost by 2500 rpm, assuming 20 dgrees locked timing I would at least have drivability? Also I believe 20 degrees total timing should be the max on 93 octane under 8 psi. Anyone think this sounds right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think that sounds right, and having a fuel control unit will help without having to tune it, and unplugging the connector for the timing spout will lock it it what ever degree it is in. i think the max timing at full throttle is somewhere between 34 and 32 degrees, so having it set at 20 would be safe to drive. it might have a bad idle but it should run. we did the same on my friends chevy, his distributor vacuum advance wasnt working so we unplugged it and locked it down to 33 degrees and it runs fine and pulls hard. but having only 10 psi isnt much boost but its enough and blowing a head gasket doesnt mean it was lean, if it was lean you would burn a plug or a piston or lock it up, the only way to tell if it is running right is do a full throttle pull once or twice and stop the and let it cool and pulls the plug and check the plug. hope that helps.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Also 24lb injectors are a bit small for 10 psi. What other mods do you have?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.