Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have some serious problems with my timing. i bought a light to see where my timing was and there is no timing pointeron my timing cover! i have a 73' 351w. i can see the marks when the light flashes but i dont know how to tell cause theres no pointer or i just cant find it? the car is running funny and is backfiring through the carb at high rpm! toasted my airfilter! idles very high. what would be the next step i sould take to find out whats going on?

would the timing be to far retarded or advancde to make it fire through the carb like that?

thanks for any help
jeff

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.Welcome:)Idling high and backfiring through the carb at high rpms would most likely be too far advanced if it is simply a timing problem.If that is the case you would experience pinging in the rpm range right before it started backfiring.I think that I'd retard the timing a bunch and then run it into the high rpm range and see if it still backfired.If yes then you could have an exhaust valve problem.The pointer is over on the P/S of the timing chain cover on the Clevelands.I'm not sure about the Windsors in 73.The car would also crank slow when you try to start it when it's already warmed up if it's just timing too far advanced.Hope that helps.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.