Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinging from the engine/exhaust

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GuitarstarX7 
#1 ·
I cant totally hear where its coming from. But its sounds like either the engine, or the exhaust is making a tinging sound when i hit the gas. It has to be in gear and moving for it to make the sound.

It happened pretty soon after i got my t-lok and 4.10s put in.

It put it up on a lift (weight of it on the wheels) so i could check to see if the exhaust was touching anything or close to anything. And it is on there pretty solid and has a good amount of clearance all around.

Any ideas?

* btw, it sounds like metal on metal

#3 ·
might be as simple as pre ignition ping. maybe bad gas or too low octane. just doesnt seem like a rear end sound though you have to suspect it because it started making the noise soon after. not likely the diff parts, maybe something else was not put back right, check the rear brakes for a loose caliper or some such issue. its always hard to judge a noise problem by proxy. to me a ting is a ting your ting might be more of a clunk to me for example.
my son recently called me while driving here from his school. he was so worried about this noise that he thought maybe he should just park it at the next rest stop. granted my ears are not what they were 20 years ago but i still hear fairly well and when i got the chance his noise was so slight that i could barely hear it, definatlay not over the radio. i suspected tire noise, bad belt or something got stuck in the tread. seems to be fine though, i reccomended he just turn up the radio a bit more lol

#4 ·
Can you explain the noise better? Is it a constant noise or on and off? I agree with the others, if you can get it on the lift again check the driveshaft / joints and the rear end area/ brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.