Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I'm now officially a sleeper! I look like a V6, no? :gringreen

I ordered a DIY tint kit fron Rvinyl - Dash Kits, Head Light Tints, Smoked Taillight Tint, Window Tint.

I had no idea what I was going to tint besides (possibly) the fog lights, and the tail lights for sure. But I figured I may end up wanting to tint something else, so I paid a total of $17 shipped for 24" x 24" of 67% smoke tint.

Rvinyl does sell precut kits (specifically for the Mustang) that includes everything you need for either the front or back, but I opted to be a DIYer and get the most of my money. :) (The Rvinyl kits are like $25 for the headlights, fog lights and turn signals.... And $25 for the tail lights and 3rd brake light. Shipping was like $7.)

I was originally going to get 87% tint (which lets 87% of the light out) but I figured I really wanted it to be noticeable, and people put 20% on all the time, so I went with 67%.

I was absolutely amazed! It arrived 2 days after I ordered it (it was PRIORITY! Woot!), and it came in a huge triangle package. Sure enough, 24" x 24" was in that package, rolled up.

Just to get this out of the way, I tinted the tail lights, then the fog lights. I had so much left over that I tinted the amber turn signals and the rear side markers.

A few IMPORTANT install pointers...
  • Use a piece of paper and "press" it up against the light to get an outline to trace onto the tint sheet & later cut out.
  • You NEED to take whatever you are going to tint off the car before you begin.
  • If you are cutting a sheet like I did, make your cuts larger than neccesary so you'll have enough to work with. You can trim off the excess with an exacto knife.
  • Get the surface of the light and the tint wet with a mixture of soap (I used automotive cleaning soap) and water, so you can adjust the tint.
  • You NEED a SQUEEGEE! That's how you'll have as little bubble spots as possible & get the mixture out from under the tint.
  • You NEED a hair dryer! That's how you'll bend the tint around light curves, and you'll be able to dry the tint quickly. (Hot setting on low power)

For those of you concerned about "light output" if you're considering tinting the headlights... Let me put it this way.

I'd give the stock fog lights a 5 out of 10 on lighting scale.
They are now about a 3.5... I won't drive around at night with only the fogs on anymore.

I'd give the stock head lights maybe a 9.5... With tint they'd be maybe an 8... Plenty adequate for night driving. If you have HIDs or brighter bulbs, you'll be totally fine with the tint.

Anyways, without further ado, here are the pictures! :D

Fog lights:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Grille

Turn signals:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Bumper

Tail lights:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

Rear side marker:
Vehicle door Red Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive tail & brake light

Here's some pictures with the lights on/off...
All lights off... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Automotive design
Turn signals on... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Muscle car
Turn signals + fog lights on... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Sports sedan
Turn signals + headlights on... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Automotive exterior
Turn signals + headlights + fog lights on... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle

Here are some pictures of the tail lights on/off...
Tail lights off... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Muscle car
Tail lights on... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Muscle car
Brake lights applied... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Muscle car

:)

In my opinion, it was all worth the time, effort, and $17. :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Motor vehicle
By the way, I have a discount code for Rvinyl if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Looks good Preston, i may have to get the headlight smoke tint for my new headlights when i do get around to ordering them. Same goes for the fogs.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good Preston, i may have to get the headlight smoke tint for my new headlights when i do get around to ordering them.. Same goes for the fogs..
looks good preston... i have headlight tint that i need to put on myself.
Thanks guys!

Jay, when you do it... Make sure you take the headlights off the car! I may up tinting the headlights myself, but I think I'll only do that if I get brighter bulbs or HIDs. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
154 Posts
pretty sharp :D

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, I was supposed to have the GTS (glossy) blackout panel on for these pictures... But it arrived with a nice bend in it. :(

AmericanMuscle is taking care of everything! But it still is dissapointing. :sadcry:

Table Room Automotive exterior Rectangle Ceiling Tile Architecture Automotive exterior Table Ceiling Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Eyewear Sunglasses

I'll have updated pics with the GTS panel ASAP!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
By the way, I was supposed to have the GTS (glossy) blackout panel on for these pictures... But it arrived with a nice bend in it. :(

AmericanMuscle is taking care of everything! But it still is dissapointing. :sadcry:

View attachment 74176 View attachment 74178 View attachment 74177 View attachment 74179

I'll have updated pics with the GTS panel ASAP!
dang... it always sucks when your looking forward to something and it doesn't quite turn out the way it was supposed to ... even though AM will get you a new one no problem.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It looks great, man! I like it! Sets it off really well. :bigthumbsup

My turn signals are tinted and I tried to redo them by taking them off the car, but for the life of me, I couldn't! Could you tell me how to take the lenses out? Those things just about drove me crazy before I eventually gave up on them. :so

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
$17.00, are you out of your mind???

J/K it looks very nice. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,048 Posts

My turn signals are tinted and I tried to redo them by taking them off the car, but for the life of me, I couldn't! Could you tell me how to take the lenses out? Those things just about drove me crazy before I eventually gave up on them. :so
:laugh: Val, still haven't figured it out?? All i had to do was push the light towards the inside of the car and push on it slightly from the front. It unlatched itsself and slide right off.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks! :)

To remove the turn signals, I decided I wasn't going to take any chances of breaking something so this is what I did:

Turn the steering wheel all the way one direction.
Take as many Phillips Head screws out as possible from the "splash guards" in the wheel well closest to the front bumper.
Turn the wheel the other way.
Remove the rest of the screws you couldn't reach before.
Remove the guards from the wheel well.
You can now see the turn signals... They are held in by 2 white clips. I used pliers to squeeze them so I could get them off.
Take out the 2 bulbs in each marker, remove, and you're done!

·
Registered
389 Posts
:laugh: Val, still haven't figured it out?? All i had to do was push the light towards the inside of the car and push on it slightly from the front. It unlatched itsself and slide right off.
Unfortunately, mine aren't that easy. My car doesn't like letting go of certain parts. Like the LCA's and the turn signal lenses, for example. :so

To remove the turn signals, I decided I wasn't going to take any chances of breaking something so this is what I did:

Turn the steering wheel all the way one direction.
Take as many Phillips Head screws out as possible from the "splash guards" in the wheel well closest to the front bumper.
Turn the wheel the other way.
Remove the rest of the screws you couldn't reach before.
Remove the guards from the wheel well.
You can now see the turn signals... They are held in by 2 white clips. I used pliers to squeeze them so I could get them off.
Take out the 2 bulbs in each marker, remove, and you're done!
Did you have to crank your car up to turn the wheel, because I did. It was locked in place. I did that exact same thing, but those little white clips would not squeeze in. I'll try it again this weekend, hopefully with better results. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love the positioning of your car in the pictures. it looks like ya took her out for a glamor shoot :gringreen the tint does look good. its kinda subtle but i really like it.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you have to crank your car up to turn the wheel, because I did. It was locked in place. I did that exact same thing, but those little white clips would not squeeze in. I'll try it again this weekend, hopefully with better results. Thank you. :)
Crank my car up? You mean jack it up??? :headscratch:
No, I just turned my wheel all the way one direction. I'm not lowered yet, so maybe that could be part of your problem?

And those white clips were IMPOSSIBLE to get out! I first tried by hand, but i figured what the heck and got out the pliers. It was even hard with them, but it finally came out. :nogrinner

By the way, you only need a strip 5 cm x 38 cm to tint the turn signals... That's all that shows!

I love the positioning of your car in the pictures. it looks like ya took her out for a glamor shoot :gringreen the tint does look good. its kinda subtle but i really like it.

A few things to add to this...

The stock grill with fog lights is UNBELIEVABLY difficult to remove. It took me 2 attempts, a few write ups, and over half an hour to finally remove it. :so

I still have the cut outs for all the tint pieces I did... I can scan them onto here if anyone wants them.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Crank my car up? You mean jack it up??? :headscratch:
No, I just turned my wheel all the way one direction. I'm not lowered yet, so maybe that could be part of your problem?

And those white clips were IMPOSSIBLE to get out! I first tried by hand, but i figured what the heck and got out the pliers. It was even hard with them, but it finally came out. :nogrinner

By the way, you only need a strip 5 cm x 38 cm to tint the turn signals... That's all that shows!

A few things to add to this...

The stock grill with fog lights is UNBELIEVABLY difficult to remove. It took me 2 attempts, a few write ups, and over half an hour to finally remove it. :so

I still have the cut outs for all the tint pieces I did... I can scan them onto here if anyone wants them.

:bigthumbsup
the stock grill is a BIG PITA to get off... its those bottom tabs that are a ***** to get out.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the stock grill is a BIG PITA to get off... its those bottom tabs that are a ***** to get out.
OHHHHH YEAH.

Anyone that thinks we're exaggerating... :so

I had the most trouble getting the side tabs off... Go figure??? :frustrated: :head_shot:

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
wow man, congrats all of those lights look amazing

i have to give that one :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.