Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my baby is black, I think I will get the windows tinted. It also give me a feeling of more privacy... not that I will be driving naked.... much. :)

I have occasionally heard of bad tint jobs and scratches. I have certainly seen the bad tint work done by the car owners and don't want anything like that on my defroster vanes. The bubbles are *not* attractive.

Any tips?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have a good shop in your area do it, and make sure they replace the rubber seal with a felt one. That will prevent the scratches. Go with 20% tint... I'm not sure what the laws are in Idaho, but in Washington 35% is darkest "legally", but I've got 20% and haven't had any trouble. Besides, mine came tinted from the dealer. Also, you shouldn't get any bubbles when a tint shop does it and if you do, they'll fix it.

Another tip... don't buy gas in Washington State... Please don't give our money hungry Dems in Olympia any more $$ to spend!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
When I was trying to get my windows tinted the guy at the shop told me it would cost more then double if he put the felt on the window.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I want to tint mine in the spring...how much should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
297 Posts
BlueVert said:
I want to tint mine in the spring...how much should I expect to pay?
I got mine done from the shop that my dealer uses. It's been a year now.
$200 lifetime guarenteed, or for as long as they are in business. :tongue
this was for the upgrade, no fade (to purple) film.

I asked for dark in the back and not quite as dark on the doors. I don't know what percentage of light transmission it is, it may be pushing the legal limit.

No felt, no problems. And they can do the back with one piece.

I need to put some better pics in my gallery :rolleyes:

·
Registered
787 Posts
my 2cents

Go through the dealership, they are almost permament while a tint shop may go before you have problems. I did not lowered my windlows for two weeks after the install and have zero scratches since the install eight months ago.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had 15% on both of my coupes, and it looked fantastic:eyepoppin ! I think that is what i'll do on the vert too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
mine scratched and ford wont pay so make sure you get felt

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fleg said:
When I was trying to get my windows tinted the guy at the shop told me it would cost more then double if he put the felt on the window.

My guy put on the felt for only an additional $15.00/side. That was in March and so far no scratches.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had mine done at the dealership for the warranty. Lifetime. It was more expensive than "street" shops but I know Ford will more likely be in business far longer than some private shop.

My dealership farmed out the job but will back it up. The shop will know what legalities are involved. In Texas, the darkest tent on the drivers/passenger windows is 35% so that’s what I did. I had the 1/4 windows done at 20% and the rear window at 5% (limo). I wanted the darker for the rear window to cut down on the hot Texas sun in the summer. I love the job they did. It looks great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Absolutely!!!

That was the first thing I had done. Went with a solar hybrid that is never going to fade. Lifetime gurantee from the manufacturer. It looks very, very dark, but also light enough when it needs to.
I might have gone mildly over the legal limit, strictly speaking.
As far as felt, I wish someone had told me that BEFORE I had it done. I've got two scratches on the passenger window. Probably never get noticed by anyone but me, but still...
:sterb:

·
Registered
110 Posts
have an '05 and a '06 both side windows became scrached even though the installer garenteed me that the stuff he uses won't scratch (I told him about adding the felt before install and I was insistent that this would be a problem)

ever see an arragant tinter with his tail between his legs re-tinting 2 mustangs (I installed the felt before bringing back)

ps. he does a great job though, 20% all around

·
Registered
100 Posts
if the installer scratches it, they have to replace the tint. If it gets scratched b/c of something in the door, it isn't their fault. When you pick your car up and check all the windows. I have 5% Black window tint. The darker you get the longer it takes to drive. But if you want privacy, definetly get the 5%. I believe they make 2-3% but not sure.

-Ant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts