Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's weird that the parking lights are on when the headlights are off, but when headlights are on, the parking lights are off. I've seen some 65-66 Mustangs with the parking light on when headlights are on. Does anyone's lights work when the headlights are on? I'm assuming I'd need a double filament bulb to make it work like that. Just a curious question. Thanks Guys/Gals.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What you describe is totally normal for a 65/66- Headlights go on, parking lights go off.

There is a way to jump wire it on the headlight switch so the parking lights remain on when the headlights are on. I used to have that procedure, I can't find it, but it can easily be done at the switch.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my parking lights are on when the headlights are off. I just wanted to know how to keep the parking lights on when the headlights on. You didn't make a mistake on your last post did you?Should my turn signals still work too?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm bringing this back. Has anyone done this mod before? I'd rather do some splicin' n Dicin'. The attachment doesn't do me any justice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm curious what everyone thinks is wrong with the diagram?

You're basically eliminating the 1/2 way switch which normally only turn on the parking lamps and modifying it so that everything is on when the headlight switch is pulled all the way out.

if you want to retain the 1/2 way switch function, you could just add a jumper wire instead of moving the whole wire.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea. That's what I wanted also. Basically like you said, I just want to add the parking lights when the headlights on so it should be just one small wire and that's it. Is that diagram looking at it from below the dash?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yea. That's what I wanted also. Basically like you said, I just want to add the parking lights when the headlights on so it should be just one small wire and that's it. Is that diagram looking at it from below the dash?
well a small wire with a diode. if you just jump it then you'll add too much power to the tail light circuit and start blowing fuses and stuff.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well a small wire with a diode. if you just jump it then you'll add too much power to the tail light circuit and start blowing fuses and stuff.

That's a first I've ever heard! You know everything is running on 12v, regardless?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
With respect to the "Diode Option": The diode keeps Parking Light Voltages from trying to light the Headlamps when you have the switch pulled 1/2 way.

With respect to the "Modify Harness Option": The Tail-Lights,as you know, stay on when the Headlamps are turned on. So, you move the Parking Light wire to share the terminal with the Tail-Lights and wha-laa! - the Parking Lights stay on with the Headlamps.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Dave,

What you are wanting to do is change to how the later cars were wired. Federal requirements eventually required side marker lights to be on with the headlights so Ford and nearly everyone else added the side lights to be powered with the parking/tail lights. Since that rule was not in affect and the early models don't even have side marker lights they were never wired that way. But is not unusual for someone to want their car to look 'newer' so some people re-wired the early cars to have the parking lights on more often.

You also earlier mentioned adding dual filament bulbs. All of these cars had dual filament bulbs from the factory. The parking/tail lights use the low wattage filament and the turn signal/brake lights are the higher wattage filaments.

Jeff's earlier drawing shows two ways to wire your change although there are others. Which method you chose depends somewhat upon whether you have fog lights wired as original. With those, the tail lights come on with the fogs but the parking lights do not. If you want to keep that 'feature' then you don't want to wire tail and parking lights together or else when you turn on the headlights the tail and fog lights will always come on as well. All the diode does is allow you to turn on the parking lights without the headlights. A plain wire in that spot would turn the headlights on anytime the parking lights were on which would also be any time the tail lights OR fog lights were on.

With a GT I would probably wire the parking lights to the headlight wire instead of the tail light wire just to avoid the fog problem. But without the fog lights you can do it either way. Using a diode allows parking lights without headlights but if you don't care about that a plain wire works also. In Europe parking lights are used for parking. In this country they are oddities that sometimes are also turn signals. :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You and sick are exactly the answers I was looking for. I'd rather splice up the wire and it won't be messy looking because for one, it's inside the fenders. Two, I don't have to cramp around in tight areas like being under the dash. I already figured out the double filament/contact issue. I made this thread before I took things apart. I know there are 3 wires behind the headlight, but would you know which one to splice up? As for the turn signal, there's 2 wires I believe. I can probably figure that one out.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's a pretty easy conversion. Just identify the front parking and tail-light wires on the headlight switch plug, and Scotchlock them together. Don't worry about adding the park lamps to the circuit. I used to run a trailer on my Mustang, and that added six lights to the taillight circuit, and I never blew the fuse.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If you wire the Parking Lights to the Headlamps (up in the front fender) - when You turn on the hi-beams, you'll lose the Parking Lights. And don't try to splice it to both the Headlamps and Hi-Beams, at least not without the proper diodes.

I used a relay to keep from adding loads to the already aged harness off the rear Tail-Light wire for the front Parking Lights.

I do beleive the best way to make this mod is under the dash.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm adding HID lights so I definitely know I won't be needing any high beams. :laugh:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I hadn't even thought about doing the connection up front in the headlight bucket. That's an easy place to get to but as Sick said, that causes problems since the headlight Hi/Lo beam wires alternate as to which has power. You need to connect to the headlight wire BEFORE it goes through the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I rarely use my high beams anyways. When I do drive at night, I usually drive my truck instead. I might consider just hooking it up to the headlight area. Besides, that high beam button on the floorpan is a b*** to push down. I have to reach further down to get it!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I moved the wire on the switch and my parking lights are now on when the head lights are on.

I have my halogen headlights on a relay system that made a big difference in their brightness.
Info: Relays for Halogen headlights

I also added 35 watt halogen driving lights on my air dam. I also set up a relay system for them,
Info: Driving Lights

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Here is a picture of the headlight relays (high and low). I located the driving lights relay next to them but I do not have a picture of the 3 relays side by side. All of the wiring is loomed so there is nothing to see.

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts