Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
wow, good to hear a good review about them. so with all the effort to install them, worth it?:headscratch:

·
Registered
136 Posts
wow, good to hear a good review about them. so with all the effort to install them, worth it?:headscratch:
It makes a big difference, especially with a CAI and tune. I cant even go full throttle on some roads anymore. The biggest pain was the crankshaft pulley, I didn't have the proper tools to get it off. The harmonic balancer doesn't have holes in it so you have to use a 3 jaw puller, and it has to have something in front of the screw or you will screw the crank shaft up. Really once I got the harmonic balancer off, the swap took me about 30 minutes....

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It makes a big difference, especially with a CAI and tune. I cant even go full throttle on some roads anymore. The biggest pain was the crankshaft pulley, I didn't have the proper tools to get it off. The harmonic balancer doesn't have holes in it so you have to use a 3 jaw puller, and it has to have something in front of the screw or you will screw the crank shaft up. Really once I got the harmonic balancer off, the swap took me about 30 minutes....
didn't you have to pull off the coolant tank, radiator and a bunch of other things as well?

And since i lack the tools and would probably spend more then paying a guy who knows what to do to install them, this would likely be a shop install for me. Or make a new friend with a bigger garage and larger selection of tools:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
didn't you have to pull off the coolant tank, radiator and a bunch of other things as well?

And since i lack the tools and would probably spend more then paying a guy who knows what to do to install them, this would likely be a shop install for me. Or make a new friend with a bigger garage and larger selection of tools:D
Everything came apart so easy it wasn't funny. Taking the fan out was the only remotely hard part. The bolts and plug were a little challenging to get too. I unbolted the power steering and coolant reservoirs, and just moved them to next to where the airbox was.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Everything came apart so easy it wasn't funny. Taking the fan out was the only remotely hard part. The bolts and plug were a little challenging to get too. I unbolted the power steering and coolant reservoirs, and just moved them to next to where the airbox was.
I remember the first time i took my grill out. I wanted to shoot myself......:so

Now if i see a deal on some new UDP's i may buy them:scratchchin

Anyone else need some advice from a fellow stanger who is learning as well (me):)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anyone else need some advice from a fellow stanger who is learning as well (me):)
Hotshot when you installed the muffler deletes did your car throw a code cause it was running to lean due to the change in back pressure?

i know you don't have to re-tune for mufflers but did you re-tune after installing them?

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I didn't have to do anything for my muffler deletes in terms of tuning. All i did was unbolt the old mufflers and bolt up the muffler deletes. It saves a lot of weight too :)

Its sounds really nice on startup too:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great thread, its a good starting point for a confused new owner like me.

Question to the OP. You said you have the FRPP axle back. I am looking for one as well to have more sound but I dont want cabin drone and from what you said the FRPP is great for that. I looked around online to possibly purchase one and and I found 2. An FRPP/Borla Stinger and just an FRPP. Which one of these 2 did/do you have?

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had the FRPP GTA's axleback exhaust which i loved. The FRPP Stingers (same as the borla ones) are round mufflers and a little louder than the GTA's. The GTA's were so perfect sounding Ford should have made them stock. They have 4 inch tips and sound fantastic at all RPM levels with zero drone. The Borla or Stingers also sound fantastic but may be a little more pricey and from what you described to me, i would recommend the GTA exhaust. Its around $400 and change last i looked but defiantly worth it

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the FRPP GTA's axleback exhaust which i loved. The FRPP Stingers (same as the borla ones) are round mufflers and a little louder than the GTA's. The GTA's were so perfect sounding Ford should have made them stock. They have 4 inch tips and sound fantastic at all RPM levels with zero drone. The Borla or Stingers also sound fantastic but may be a little more pricey and from what you described to me, i would recommend the GTA exhaust. Its around $400 and change last i looked but defiantly worth it
Sorry for the n00b question. I am unable to find a GTA exhaust. I found a GTB (Ford Racing M-5230-GTB Ford Racing Muffler & Exhaust Kits) Is this the same/updated version or part number?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the link sltwagon. I bookmarked that for when I'm ready to order it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is a really good thread. I remember when I first started out I wanted to know the answers to all the things you made this thread about.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I wanted to pass along things to others. Like for example, i have a 2007 1/2 mustang GT that supposedly needed to have special exhaust hangers for any aftermarket axlebacks. So i bought them at the same time as my FRPP GTA's and i still have them in the packaging cause i never used them and can't sell them, heck give them away lol.

And there are no noob questions btw, i asked more questions than anyone. I used to terrorize this forum before i got my mustang, now i continue to terrorize the forum:kooky:

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for the link sltwagon. I bookmarked that for when I'm ready to order it.
Its a very easy install as well. You simply unbolt 2 bolts for each hanger (total 4 bolts) then the bolt that connects the muffler to the catback pipe. Then reverse process for the install. Its just a matter of getting a wrench in there that's a pain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I dont have a problem doing the install. I've spent pretty much atleast 1 if not both days under the hood of my old car trying to fix or repalce things that always broke cuz of all the work that car had done for a good 3+ years. I'll have to buy the mufflers and then get it done. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
sounds good. I was under my car yesterday. hacksaw, propane torch and socket wrenches. i had fun:kooky:

·
Registered
11 Posts
exhaust

I am going to be putting on a set of borla axleback turbo mufflers model 11752. Will I have to have a diferent tune put on my car for this? I didnt think that a simple muffler change needed a different tune. But now Im confused.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
no, you will not require any form of tuning for your axlebacks. Even with the muffler deletes which virtually eliminate backpressure caused by the mufflers i didn't need a tune. Tunes are needed for anything affecting fuel or air as i say as a general rule of thumb, but this is one of the few exceptions.

BTW, those are some sweet mufflers :bigthumbsup

21 - 40 of 215 Posts