Ford Mustang Forum banner

41 - 60 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
thanks I got them on and i love them. what about just putting in a kn filter.
I got the K&N drop in filter and you know what? I kinda wish i didn't spend the money on it cause i ended up with a CAI maybe 2 months down the road. Honestly, its such a simple and beneficial mod to do. Sure its $550 instead of $30 for the filter, but you get better MPG, throttle response, and gas mileage (the winning argument with the wife :D).

Honestly i didn't notice anything really with the drop in filter, and re-oiling a filter i have never been able to do properly hence my dry flow filter i run.

The throttle response is the BEST part about the tune and CAI package. It makes the car 100 times more fun to drive around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the K&N drop in filter and you know what? I kinda wish i didn't spend the money on it cause i ended up with a CAI maybe 2 months down the road. Honestly, its such a simple and beneficial mod to do. Sure its $550 instead of $30 for the filter, but you get better MPG, throttle response, and gas mileage (the winning argument with the wife :D).

Honestly i didn't notice anything really with the drop in filter, and re-oiling a filter i have never been able to do properly hence my dry flow filter i run.

The throttle response is the BEST part about the tune and CAI package. It makes the car 100 times more fun to drive around.

Definitely a great write up and something I will keep :bigthumbsup I've been considering getting a CAI with a flash but I live in CA. I see a lot of advetertised CAIs but I don't know if it's smog/street legal.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The CAI and tune you can get an emissions legal tune if you want to stay street legal if you worried about a smog test right then and there. but if you are worried about inspection, then you don't need to worry. Hang on to your stock airbox and when it comes time for inspection and you are worried about passing, simply reinstall the stock airbox and the stock tune. Then drive the car for a day or two and drive at least 100 miles to give the car's computer enough data to provide readings for the inspection guys. Then after you pass inspection load the CAI and tune back in there. It literally will take you 10 minutes after your 2nd or 3rd time around because it really is VERY simple and easy to do.

And you tuner automatically downloads your OEM tune and saves it for you so no need to worry about losing the tune for the stock airbox.

A CAI and tune truely wakes up the car and makes it extremely fun to drive.:kooky:

·
Registered
110 Posts
K&N Cold Air Intakes advertise that a tune is not needed. That was not true in my case. After Installation, my car sounded more throaty and aggressive but throttle response was weak. Also had some odd odors in passenger cabin that could have come from the catalytic converter as if fuel mixture was not right. I did install shorty headers and magnaflow exhaust system at the same time. I had purchased a Diablosport Predator tuner but wasn't able to install the tune because they sent me the wrong tuner. I only drove the car a couple of times but after trying to merge into traffic, I put the accelorator to the floor, it made a pop and didn't accelerate, just a pause. I nearly got mowed over, scared the bajingies out of me. After the right tuner came, I install it and it corrected everything as well as changed the sound of the exhaust. Could be a combination of the mods but I think it had to be the new intake because of the odors. Correct me if I am wrong. :smoke:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Definitely a great write up and something I will keep :bigthumbsup I've been considering getting a CAI with a flash but I live in CA. I see a lot of advetertised CAIs but I don't know if it's smog/street legal.
Nothing is legal in California. Just have a plan, like others here have said. Put the old box back in and reset the stock tune when needed (before a service at dealer or smog). Good luck!

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
K&N Cold Air Intakes advertise that a tune is not needed. That was not true in my case. After Installation, my car sounded more throaty and aggressive but throttle response was weak. Also had some odd odors in passenger cabin that could have come from the catalytic converter as if fuel mixture was not right. I did install shorty headers and magnaflow exhaust system at the same time. I had purchased a Diablosport Predator tuner but wasn't able to install the tune because they sent me the wrong tuner. I only drove the car a couple of times but after trying to merge into traffic, I put the accelorator to the floor, it made a pop and didn't accelerate, just a pause. I nearly got mowed over, scared the bajingies out of me. After the right tuner came, I install it and it corrected everything as well as changed the sound of the exhaust. Could be a combination of the mods but I think it had to be the new intake because of the odors. Correct me if I am wrong. :smoke:
one of the best things about the tune is the increase responsiveness from the throttle. And as for your problem, did you keep the cats in your magnaflow mid-pipe or was it just the axlebacks? And as for the smell, if was most likely due from the new headers you installed.

I also go by the rule of thumb that anything air or fuel (except axlebacks) needs to be re-tuned in order to run properly.

And the K&N intake has a special "insert" inside of it that is needed if the intake is to be run without a tune, and can be removed once a tune is installed to optimize performance.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Nothing is legal in California. Just have a plan, like others here have said. Put the old box back in and reset the stock tune when needed (before a service at dealer or smog). Good luck!
simple bolts ons especially like a CAI are easily reversible. Its also pays to have a buddy who you know at the inspection station.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another new guy....this forum is great, touches on all my questions. I am playing the guessing game since I bought a used car, but it had some mods already done. Can I assume that since the previous owner installed the pictured CAI that it has been tuned?

29.jpg

30.jpg

·
Registered
403 Posts
Another new guy....this forum is great, touches on all my questions. I am playing the guessing game since I bought a used car, but it had some mods already done. Can I assume that since the previous owner installed the pictured CAI that it has been tuned?

View attachment 84191

View attachment 84192
Great, but no, do not assume that. A "tune" means a device that is connected to your car's computer during a process of uploading a tune written just for your car. If you did not receieve an electronic device (tuner), then likely the BBK CAI you have installed is not tuned. If the car runs fine, then no problem, BBK's can run without a tune. You can always buy a tuner for around $400 and get even more HP.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
you void your warranty only if the dealer can prove that your mods caused the problem. For example if you install a tune and you have an exhaust leak that cannot be caused by the tune you'll be fine and still covered.

But for example if you change out your mufflers then have an issue with them, they won't be covered cause you changed them.

As for your BBK CAI it says "no tune" required but most people need to have a tune to run it properly. Your biggest issue will be that each tuner downloads the stock tune upon the initial upload of tunes. If you already have a tune you won't be able to do that because you have your BBK tune in there. So my advice would be to take it to a speed shop and let them take care of you and get you a tuner with the proper tunes in it. You will feel a GREAT increase in your throttle response and a lot more power throughout the entire power band.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Steeda Cold Air intake

I have owned my Stang for a few years now, but have not made any mods. I am looking to start the mods this spring. Cold Air intake was definetly on the agenda. I was considering the Steeda combo kit on american muscle. What are your thoughts on the Steeda products? Are they worth the extra money just for the name, or would I be better off buying a different brand?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ford Racing CAI?

What do you guys think about the Ford Racing CAI package?

I know it's a bit pricey, but is it worth it?

does anyone have one?:cooldude:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have owned my Stang for a few years now, but have not made any mods. I am looking to start the mods this spring. Cold Air intake was definetly on the agenda. I was considering the Steeda combo kit on american muscle. What are your thoughts on the Steeda products? Are they worth the extra money just for the name, or would I be better off buying a different brand?
I've come to believe that no one brand can be the best for everyone and in every situation, but there are a few you can count on to always give a quality product, Steeda is one of those. They do tend to be more costly, not the highest and certainly not the lowest, but quality. They have sales on their website periodically, worth checking out.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Steeda products are top notch but pricey. As for Cold Air intakes i would recommend going with a JLT or a C&L street coupled with a SCT Xcal 3 tuner

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
What do you guys think about the Ford Racing CAI package?

I know it's a bit pricey, but is it worth it?

does anyone have one?:cooldude:
The Ford racing CAI is great, by far the best looking on IMO. Get it with an aftermarket tune however. the FRPP CAI and tune package is not only more expensive but it doesn't give you as much power or the options to adjust parameters like the SCT does

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I will keep looking at Aall of the Cold Air intakes and definetly will get the SCT Xcal 3 tuner with whichever intake I decide on.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks for all the help. I will keep looking at Aall of the Cold Air intakes and definetly will get the SCT Xcal 3 tuner with whichever intake I decide on.
It really comes down to which intake you feel looks the coolest because honestly, the power you get from each other is so close to each other, you need to decide on aesthetics. Between the best and worst CAI (assuming you tune it) is less than 8 HP

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just want to try to help clarify the gearing issue. It was stated that the gears don't increase torque, it just feels like it because they get you into the power band sooner. That's false.

Tw = (Te x GR) - L

Torque at the wheels (Tw) equals the torque from the engine (Te) times the gear ratio (GR) minus losses (L). That means the bigger the GR, the bigger the wheel torque, even if engine torque stays the same.

Ignoring losses, a differential with 3.31 gears will put out 331 foot-pounds of torque for every 100 foot-pounds it receives from the drive shaft, while a differential with 4.10 gears will put out 410 foot-pounds of torque for every 100 foot-pounds it receives from the drive shaft.

So our 320 Ft-Lb engines with 3.31 differentials actually put around 1000 Ft-Lbs to the wheels in 4th gear (1.00 transmission ratio). It's even higher in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears because you then multiply that 1000 Ft-Lbs by the transmission ratio. So in 1st gear you're putting 3380 Ft-Lbs to the wheels (if you have a manual transmission, which has a 3.38 1st gear ratio).

"Now wait a minute!" you say. "Chassis dynos show peak rear wheel torque to be more like 280 Ft-Lbs, not 1000!". Well, the Chassis dyno actually READS 1000, but the computer then recalculates for what it would read if you had a 1.00 differential gear. They do this so you can easily compare the wheel power to the crankshaft power.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
a thing you need to keep in mind is what your overall purpose for the car is. If you like to drive 80 MPH on the highway all the time, then maybe 4.10's are not for you. also if you hit up a 1/8 track versus a 1/4 maybe you can run 4.56 gears versus something else.

the best advice i can give to anyone who is modding is to plan everything out from the start. you save yourself money, time and headaches by doing it right from the start and sticking to the game plan:bigthumbsup

41 - 60 of 215 Posts