Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. Two days ago I got a great deal on a 2007 V6 black Mustang and this is my very first Mustang to own so I'm very excited. Everyone always raves about how hard it is to keep a black car clean so I need some tips on detailing my car when I pick it up from the dealership (tomorrow). I was wanting to know the best ways of getting the exterior in tip top shape and ways to remove scratches and getting the black paint to really shine and be in great shape. Thanks a lot in advance and I really appreciate the tips.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
First thing you wanna do is wash it then clay bar it. The clay bar is awesome.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Clay bar, Zaino Part 1 and 2, repeat part 2 every month or so.

Zaino is the easiest to wipe off and you can really get a deep shine by adding multiple coats of part 2.

Once you get a good coat of any wax, the dust and dirt will just spray off. Never use a carwash brush and I'm a big believer in just using spot free rinse on the weekly washes to minimize any contact and scratches that come from weekly towel drying.

Also park that thing waaaay out. People will destroy a black car with door dings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clay bar, Zaino Part 1 and 2, repeat part 2 every month or so.

Zaino is the easiest to wipe off and you can really get a deep shine by adding multiple coats of part 2.

Once you get a good coat of any wax, the dust and dirt will just spray off. Never use a carwash brush and I'm a big believer in just using spot free rinse on the weekly washes to minimize any contact and scratches that come from weekly towel drying.

Also park that thing waaaay out. People will destroy a black car with door dings.
Okay thanks a lot I will definitely look into that. I bought the car preowned and it has two half-dollar size dings on the passenger side. How much money would it take to take it to a body shop to repair the two dings? Any idea? Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
First thing you wanna do is wash it then clay bar it. The clay bar is awesome.
Will that do anything for removing swirls? I hate, hate, HATE walking up to it on a bright sunny day and seeing it look like a shattered piece of glass :(

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bring it to my house.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I Detailed Cars for Years, Owned My Own Detail Shop and made many a Black Car Shine like a Baby's Butt:gringreen Back in the day we did'nt have (Clay Bars) we did it the Old Fashioned way....I used (Liquid Ebony) there's a Pic of it in My Members Picture Gallery, just click on the Camera under My avatar pic and it'll take you there.
Liquid Ebony was made especially for Black Paint, it removes swirl marks, light imperfections and makes that black paint shine! Im also one who NEVER uses a Car Wash, Wash your Stang by Hand if you can, always use a Clean Wash Mit and keep it stored in a Big Zip-Loc Bag, and Only use it on your Stangs Paint, never on the Tires and Rims.
When Washing I always use Baby Shampoo, it's Mild and wont take off your Old Wax. Black Paint it one of the toughest Paints to keep shining and looking like new, the Sun is one of it's worst enimies, if you have a Garage keep it in there, if not get a Good Car Cover.
Im sure a Clay Bar and Wax will do a Great Job, but it's even more important on how you take care of your paint that matters the most. One thing that was New on the scene when I was detailing Cars was (Clear Coat) remember that your Now not making the Paint Shine but trying to make the Clear Coat Shine.
Eventually repeated Clay Baring will wear through the Clear Coat, so will most Compounds, so owning a Black Painted Car is gonna be a chore to keep looking good, it can be done but will take a-lot of hard work:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Detailed Cars for Years, Owned My Own Detail Shop and made many a Black Car Shine like a Baby's Butt:gringreen Back in the day we did'nt have (Clay Bars) we did it the Old Fashioned way....I used (Liquid Ebony) there's a Pic of it in My Members Picture Gallery, just click on the Camera under My avatar pic and it'll take you there.
Liquid Ebony was made especially for Black Paint, it removes swirl marks, light imperfections and makes that black paint shine! Im also one who NEVER uses a Car Wash, Wash your Stang by Hand if you can, always use a Clean Wash Mit and keep it stored in a Big Zip-Loc Bag, and Only use it on your Stangs Paint, never on the Tires and Rims.
When Washing I always use Baby Shampoo, it's Mild and wont take off your Old Wax. Black Paint it one of the toughest Paints to keep shining and looking like new, the Sun is one of it's worst enimies, if you have a Garage keep it in there, if not get a Good Car Cover.
Im sure a Clay Bar and Wax will do a Great Job, but it's even more important on how you take care of your paint that matters the most. One thing that was New on the scene when I was detailing Cars was (Clear Coat) remember that your Now not making the Paint Shine but trying to make the Clear Coat Shine.
Eventually repeated Clay Baring will wear through the Clear Coat, so will most Compounds, so owning a Black Painted Car is gonna be a chore to keep looking good, it can be done but will take a-lot of hard work:bigthumbsup
Thanks a lot for that great information. This is my first black car and I'm somewhat already overwhelmed by the maintenance it's going to take, but i know I can keep her clean. What type of wax would you recommend? And do you literally use baby shampoo to wash your car?

·
Banned
822 Posts
...This is my first black car and I'm somewhat already overwhelmed by the maintenance it's going to take, but i know I can keep her clean. What type of wax would you recommend? And do you literally use baby shampoo to wash your car?
Last I used is Turtle Wax "Black Box", and it came out looking pretty good... Clay bar, then cleaner wax, followed by black wax, followed by black detail spray. Since waxing (time to do it again..), I've just been dusting with the CA duster, followed by a wipe down with the black detail spray. Looks OK, but I think this will be my last black car... Black drives me nuts. :yup:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Thanks a lot for that great information. This is my first black car and I'm somewhat already overwhelmed by the maintenance it's going to take, but i know I can keep her clean. What type of wax would you recommend? And do you literally use baby shampoo to wash your car?
AHHH, thought you were gonna catch me on this one did you:gringreen NO I dont use Baby Shampoo to wash My Stang, it has never been washed in the 4 years that I've owned it, it's never seen water or snow, been Garaged 99% of it's life and Detailed befor and after each and every drive. It's never seen dirt that's how I keep it as Clean as it is:bigthumbsup
But YES for all my Other Vehicles I do use Baby Shampoo to wash them, it does'nt remove the wax and it's Gentle on the Clear Coat:winks
The BEST Wax I have found is (Meguires Cleaner Wax) it's by far the Best wax I have ever used:bigthumbsup I've used tons of different waxes, tried em all, from the Best Carnuba to Maguires Gold, none of them compare to it, I but it at Wal-Mart for about $5 a bottle.
A Tip, never ever wax your Stang in the Sun, and also never try and clean your windows in the Sun, a cool dry place is best for both. For My other Vehicles I use Simple Green (Sprayed) on a Cloth, then wipe the Cloth Interior Seats with it, never spray anything right on the cloth, it will turn your dirt into MUD and you'll never get it out. I also use (Bleach White) sprayed on a cloth for the tougher stains (if any) this works great. But DONT use it on Leather Seats or say on your radio dials, the white lettering will come off and it will take the coloring off of the colored leather:gringreen But for dirty carpets or cloth interior Bleach White works great and wont hurt the fabric.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AHHH, thought you were gonna catch me on this one did you:gringreen NO I dont use Baby Shampoo to wash My Stang, it has never been washed in the 4 years that I've owned it, it's never seen water or snow, been Garaged 99% of it's life and Detailed befor and after each and every drive. It's never seen dirt that's how I keep it as Clean as it is:bigthumbsup
But YES for all my Other Vehicles I do use Baby Shampoo to wash them, it does'nt remove the wax and it's Gentle on the Clear Coat:winks
The BEST Wax I have found is (Meguires Cleaner Wax) it's by far the Best wax I have ever used:bigthumbsup I've used tons of different waxes, tried em all, from the Best Carnuba to Maguires Gold, none of them compare to it, I but it at Wal-Mart for about $5 a bottle.
A Tip, never ever wax your Stang in the Sun, and also never try and clean your windows in the Sun, a cool dry place is best for both. For My other Vehicles I use Simple Green (Sprayed) on a Cloth, then wipe the Cloth Interior Seats with it, never spray anything right on the cloth, it will turn your dirt into MUD and you'll never get it out. I also use (Bleach White) sprayed on a cloth for the tougher stains (if any) this works great. But DONT use it on Leather Seats or say on your radio dials, the white lettering will come off and it will take the coloring off of the colored leather:gringreen But for dirty carpets or cloth interior Bleach White works great and wont hurt the fabric.
Okay well unfortunately I am not going to have a garage to use so I am going to buy a car cover to help protect it. Luckily, I have black leather interior and I have the premium package interior so I don't have to worry about cloth stains. I will go out and buy the Maguires Wax today. Any tips on getting rid of swirl marks? This being a preowned car, there ARE some swirl marks and some minor scratches around the car.

Also, what is the difference between polish and wax? Should I clay-bar THEN polish THEN wax my car using maguires wax all in those three steps?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Clay Bar will remove embedded particles in the paint. Dirt, overspread in some cases etc. If your car sits dirty for many weeks that stud seeps in the paint. It will give your car more POP and make it butter smooth. Liquid Ebony and Turtle wax Black box just fill. your swirls temporarily but as you wash and it rains it comes out. The only permanent fix is a compound. It goes outthe tiniest amount of clear coat (paint) as possible and removes swirls. Example Ultimate compound by Meguiars work great it is ideal to use it with a dual action polisher. You cwn use it by hand but that is a lotttttt of time and elbow grease. Orbital buffers will work mediocarely and high speed buffers are for the experienced and pro. Drying and propped towel use is key to eliminating swirl cause effectively. Meguiars micro fiber towels are great. And is stay away from auto zone cheapo micro fibers. And for during auto zone and pep boys sell "absorber" towels. Equivalent to Shamois but a vinyl type. They soak great and don't scratch as long as you cleaned all your dirt off on your wash of course lol. And then keeping your shine and protecting your finish I use Meguiars yellow wax and glaze (detail line can be found at pep boys) I've heard good things on zaino but the easy access and quality of meguiars sold me on there products. All I use is Meguiars and Mothers. Any questions PM me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts