Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently noticed a leak at my fuel sending unit and replaced the gasket. I wasn't too confident in the seating of the gasket but I put a couple gallons of gas after replacement and no leak. Yesterday tanked up and it began leaking again. Possibly there wasn't enough gas to reach the top of the gasket before. Any tips on this gasket replacement? Do I have to remove tank to ensure correct placement? Any way to hold the gasket in place while securing the fuel sending unit? How much should I turn the lock ring? I see three tabs that sort of point outwards, where should they be when I'm done turning lock ring? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Common problem is the gasket "rolling" and since it's not an actual O ring but a square gasket you will get leaks.

I coat it lightly (just enough to make it look "wet") with petroleum jelly. This will allow the lock ring to slide easier on it and not grip it and flip the gasket around. I also use a few daps of the pj to hold the gasket in place while installing the sender. What little bit of pj touches the gas just gets dissolved in it when the tank is filled.

The lock ring should be turned until the tabs that stick up touch the end when it can't turn no more, as the more you turn it the more it compresses the gasket.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, sounds easy enough. Is there some sort of groove the gasket should fit into?

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello. :) I always went ahead and pulled the gas tank out first. It's very easy to do, and that way you can have the tank sitting upright and the gasket won't be trying to fall off or scoot around when you re-attach the sending unit, and you aren't standing on your head in the dark while you re-attach the sending unit. You can also run a jumper wire to the sending unit and a ground wire to the car with the tank sitting on the floor upside down to see if the sending unit actually works without having to put gas in the tank and then drain the gas if the sending unit turns out to be defective. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, removing the tank would be foolproof, but I may give Jay H 237's advice a shot first. I'll know if that works in a matter of minutes, if it doesn't I guess the tank will come out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts