Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tips on wet sanding

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  1986StangGT 
#1 ·
Hey i need some tips on how to wet sand. I primered my car and want to wet sand to make smooth. :scratchchin

#2 ·
you can buy a rubber sanding block, either to attach paper too or wrap around. its best to use that on as much of the flatter surface as possible.it will give just a little to do slight curved surfaces. it will show any spot or divits clearly as you sand.(either to sand out or repair with surface or spot putty) use lots of water and rinse your block and paper alot. use your hand for curved areas that the block wont work on, and be real carefull on body lines so you dont get flat spots.

#6 ·
If you are planning on spraying a second coat of primer 220 grit if you are planning on sealing and painting it after this coat 400 (if you are planning on painting it a high metallic color you may want to go over it again after with 600 to lessen the chance of sand scratches showing in the paint). Also I would recommend getting a longer "board" sander to go along with the rubber sanding block for the flatter open area's since it will not only cut down on the sanding time but also make for a straighter finish product.

#7 ·
Just like mentioned but i would make sure to put a guide coat(a primer or paint of opposite color misted on the car or panel) on to insure straightness... when the guide coat has disappeared from the panel quit sanding if get down to metal or other substrate before guide coat is gone from panel re-prime and sand again. Also i have used a stiffer piece of styrafoam as a long board just a little give to it hope this helps:shiny:

#8 ·
exactly what he said, and 3000 grit for the clearcoat then buff the hell out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.