Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this forum for an exact tire pressure, this is why I ask, I did not find any numbers. I read on the side of the tire that it says max 44psi. In my previous cars max psi was 35 so I inflated to 32. What do I inflate for 44? 41? I have stock 16" rims with stock tires. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
eltupac said:
I searched this forum for an exact tire pressure, this is why I ask, I did not find any numbers. I read on the side of the tire that it says max 44psi. In my previous cars max psi was 35 so I inflated to 32. What do I inflate for 44? 41? I have stock 16" rims with stock tires. Thanks.
you got better tires, shorter sidewalls require more pressure.

THe dealership will always inflate to Ford specifications. 35psi. Which translates to a better ride.

I run at 44psi for better fuel mileage, wear, and handling.

The best way is to inflate to 44, and decrease until you find your mix between ride & handling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again KS! :happyhapp
Tell me something, does your steering feel heavy sometimes? I mean compared to other cars.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
eltupac said:
Thanks again KS! :happyhapp
Tell me something, does your steering feel heavy sometimes? I mean compared to other cars.
The higher the pressure the less heavy the steering will be. And the wider the tire, the heavier it'll be.

I prefer steering with a little heft. In fact, I've taken out the power steering whenever I could, and replaced the rack & pinion. I plan on replacing the the PS with a Flaming River rack in about 2 years (assuming I still have the car).

On my 68, the PS pump went out, and I just took off the belt. After driving it a while, I couldn't tell that it didn't have PS, but my shoulders & triceps got huge!

:happyhapp

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I talked to several tire 'experts' at Tirerack, Goodyear and several local tire techs. All say one thing...Door Sticker!

Regardless of the tire size. :)

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Tominator said:
I talked to several tire 'experts' at Tirerack, Goodyear and several local tire techs. All say one thing...Door Sticker!

Regardless of the tire size. :)
We've already had this argument.

Bottom line is, I run 44psi, and have had no problems, and get great mileage.

Go to Tire Rack, and read up on tire pressure, wear, and competition.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I'm not arguing with you. :laughlitt Only stating what I've been told. I happen to believe the 'experts' are not exactly correct. :eyepoppin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.