Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the Kumho tires do on the track? I am a little confused someone said to not do a burnout with street tires and other people say to do the burn out which is it? With a stick do you just dump the clutch and floor it to burn out or do you just hold the brake in a funky way and hit the gas?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
With street tires you just want to clean them off a bit. Small burnout is all you need. If you burn them out too long it will just make them slick (in most cases). I think it has to do with releasing oils in the compound of the rubber on street tires (that's what I've been told by the tire guys:scratchchin).

Anyways, you can rev the car in 2nd gear and dump the clutch. Or you can "heal toe" the throttle and brake while releasing the clutch.

You won't need a big burn out so the "heal toe" method probably won't be necessary. However, the S197's are easy to "heal toe".

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
+1 on that!

Having said that let me add there are some tracks where there just isn't an option. The water box runs from one side of the track to the other (HMP here is like that here:so).

If that's the case it probably won't hurt you, you just run the chance of dragging water down the track for the next guy. NOT GOOD and that's why you want to avoid the water box if possible on street tires.

Having said that let me also add DO NOT DO YOUR BURNOUT IN THE WATER BOX!!! this applies to guys with slicks also. If you sling the water into the wheel well with slicks it could drop on the tire during the run. With street tires your going to drag water all over the starting line!

Makes me cringe every time I see that!

If you're running slicks and you need to be "in" the water to start the tires turning, pull to the outside edge of the water box. Out of the box itself but where the track is still damp, you'll be able to get them moving there without so much chance of slinging water into the wheel well.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
460 Posts
What is the point of the water box then if you shouldnt do your burnout in it?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
What is the point of the water box then if you shouldnt do your burnout in it?
The point is to "wet" the tires to allow them to brake loose easier, get them spinning. You don't need to soak them. Besides how much heat you think your putting in your tires when they are spinning in the water box? Not getting the friction you need to heat the tires with water acting as a lubricant between the tire and track surface.

If your in the water box during your burnout your slinging water into the wheel well or your going to drag water all over the starting line as I mentioned.

In other words it's not an effective way to do a burnout and it will most likely hurt your times down the track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.