Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Mustang Cobra Laser Red
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 96 Cobra with 315s on the rear where I had to use 3/8 in spacers to keep them from rubbing the shocks. But the right side rubs only when I turn left? So I kinda did some zig zagging the other day and I could feel some movement in the rear end like something with the rear axle might be loose? I’ve not got it on a lift yet and I’m not super knowledgeable about cars. With that information can anyone surmise what might be wrong? I will add that she drives straight and handles well. And I don’t see any odd tire wear.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
assuming that car has solid rear axle (I believe there were some "cobras" that had IRS but I am not sure of the years),

my first guess would be, the entire rear axle is moving side to side -- this should be controlled by the panhard bar (the horizontal bar that attaches the rear axle to the body of the car) and the bushings in the panhard bar could be shot, introducing play which allows it to move

·
Registered
1996 Mustang Cobra Laser Red
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you JBert! I’m thinking it’s a bushing issue too as I can hear some noises and feel movement that would relate to such. Hopefully I can get her up on a lift soon and have a look. Oh and it’s a solid axle btw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts