Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I have a 2006 GT. It’s stock ride height and with the crap roads here in eastern Canada, I don’t plan to lower it. We like to cruise a lot and it’s already quite rough on some roads. Last year when I got the car, I did a square tire setup with 255/45/18’s. I now have new deep dish Bullitt style wheels ordered from AM, 18x9 for the front and 18x10 for the rear. I am going with a staggered setup. I am looking at 275 or 285/40 for the rear as many suggest. 285’s are hard to find around here, at a reasonable price. My question is, what will look best with the stock rise height and not leave too much wheel gap? Any suggestions or am I pointed in he right direction with that tire size? Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: MrSally

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
Stock tire diameter is 27.2" and I believe there is plenty of clearance to go at least an inch bigger . . . . the more sidewall on the tire, the bigger the overall tire diameter and the smaller the fender gap. You can look up the complete tire size specs on Tire Rack, or many other places.

There are also some on-line calculators that will get pretty close, there are links on here, I think one was just posted within the past few days in response to a very similar question. I like to use Tire Rack because it gives all the exact information for the exact tires that I am considering.

So I'd look at the sizes and play around; I think you might be able to go with 275/45-18 to get the tire diameter around 28"

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2006 GT. It’s stock ride height and with the crap roads here in eastern Canada, I don’t plan to lower it. We like to cruise a lot and it’s already quite rough on some roads. Last year when I got the car, I did a square tire setup with 255/45/18’s. I now have new deep dish Bullitt style wheels ordered from AM, 18x9 for the front and 18x10 for the rear. I am going with a staggered setup. I am looking at 275 or 285/40 for the rear as many suggest. 285’s are hard to find around here, at a reasonable price. My question is, what will look best with the stock rise height and not leave too much wheel gap? Any suggestions or am I pointed in he right direction with that tire size? Thanks for your help!
What is the actual stock tire size from the door sticker? Let's start with what came on the car from the factory for a tire size and go from there. I'm not sure if Tire Rack delivers to Canada but they do carry the 285/40R18

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you're staying with 255/45-18 up front, the matching staggered rear tire size would be 285/40-18 . . . IOW, the same tire sizes as the 2007 - 2009 GT500 came with. Among other reasons, this will be the least likely to confuse the ABS, which really doesn't want to see big differences between the front and the rear tire diameters.

275/40-18 is a shorter tire, which will give you more rear tire to fender gap than you have now and may be enough shorter for you to see.

Take your time here, don't settle for what's readily available locally just because it can be done right away.

Norm

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2006 GT. It’s stock ride height and with the crap roads here in eastern Canada, I don’t plan to lower it.
If you post a picture of your car in pure side view it might help the rest of us see how much tire to fender gap you're dealing with. Keep in mind that a little more gap generally translates to better ride quality over poor-ish roads, and that not all S197 Mustangs ride at the same height even when stock.

Norm

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you post a picture of your car in pure side view it might help the rest of us see how much tire to fender gap you're dealing with. Keep in mind that a little more gap generally translates to better ability to cope with poor-ish roads, and that not all S197 Mustangs ride at the same height even when stock.

Norm

·
Registered
‘06 GT Vert, Shaker, chrome headers, H pipes, Magnaflow exhaust, Bama tunes, Hurst short throw shift
5 Posts
I have a standard height, 2006 GT Convertible with staggered Godspeed Omega Ultra Deep Dish 18x9 and 18x10 wheels, with Nitto NT555 255/40Z/18 and 295/45Z/18 tires. There is a noticeable gap, but I really like the stance, and she rides great.

22398468-4281-429E-9599-BF300A6AEC5E.jpeg FD84AF3F-B4DB-48F8-BA05-D8908E93AFFE.jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts