Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a little help, suggestions please.

Enkei PF01 18x9, 5x114.3 +45 silver
I have these wheels for my 2012 Brembo GT for track days I was hoping I could get some suggestions as to what tires/size maybe a good choice.

I will be running the Autobahn and Road America. I only started doing track days last year and did all but one in my Mazdaspeed 3 (DD). This year it's time to be a big boy and take the Mustang :yakyak:

Price is always an issue so I am looking for good value, but don't mind paying for a tire that may last a little longer. I know this will depend on how hard I drive and how good I am. With that said I am a beginner so no slicks.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You are going to get MANY opinions on this, but I'll start by giving you my 0.02...

Since you've stated that you are a beginner, you can use pretty much whatever you want and still have a blast doing it. Also, since you won't be pushing 10/10ths, you could get away with using A/S tires.

Either way, if I was you...

I would get a 255/45/18. There are MANY tire options in that size and all are very cost-effective. Depending where you like to shop, you can get a tires for around $150 a piece.

Try to look for a "forgiving" tire. Something that DOES slide a little bit so it is easier to correct and won't make you pay for improper throttle and steering corrections.

Tires WILL mask skill with beginner drivers. I don't care what anyone says. As stated...you can even start with an A/S tire if you want. They will last MUCH longer than a summer tire and better teach you the basics of high-performance driving and car control.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
As Katastrophe stated, an All-Season tire will definitely net you the most use for your money spent.

A Summer only street tire would be desirable as well. Both will be forgiving and will squeel when you know you are losing traction - letting you become familiar with the limits of your car and how it reacts to certain tracks/corners without instantly losing all traction if you pass this threshold like an R compound would.

Either an All-Season (a very budget minded option) or a Summer-only street tire (a bit more grip, a bit more $$ than an A/S, but still conducive to learning properly) would be great for getting into it.

I did quite a bit of research and picked up a square set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports last spring (Summer only street tire) for my street tire and occasional track tire and it has a 30k mile warranty and I can definitely tell you this tire has oodles grip and does wear very efficiently for what it is. Love them to death. They are also quite good in wet conditions. I got the whole set of tires (square 245/40-19's) for $1050 shipped to my door. A 30k mile warranty & the price is right on par with some good A/S's. However, some harder A/S will get you far more miles than a summer compound - they will also net less grip and make more squeeling noise the harder you go.

Michelin Pilot Sport Tires Michelin Tires PILOT SUPER SPORT MI 265/40ZR18 101Y XL

I was looking at this the other day, and I found a place that is even cheaper than what I got my tires for. So, right around $1k would land you some really nice tires. Doing a little research will show that as you increase the tire width, the price will go up dramatically.

Tire integrity. As you know, wider contact patch = more grip. Shorter tire section = firmer, consistent and more responsive tire. A tire that fits the wheel well will handle better than one that is oversized for it, which means having the sidewall straight up or leaning inward will give the most tire stability on the track (much different than drag racing). A 265mm width would fit a 9" wheel quite well. I'm running 275/35's on my 18's for my race setup and this is what it looks like:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/548029_899146506369_1480303944_n.jpg

A 265/35-18 has less sidewall protection and looks like roller skates on our cars:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/554287_900857372779_1538207958_n.jpg

I got that size due to the cost and sidewall performance, not looks, since it's for my race setup. For a street tire + track tire, a 40 would be optimal but a 45 would also be good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Katastrophe & 2VipeRS.

2VipeRS I love the continental yellow lettering on the tires. :worship

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok. This is the rim that I use most of the time. It is inexpensive and light weight. Both plusses. I have only broken two of them so far.

I run 275's on these rims and they work extremly well. Last year, doing 50+ track days, I corded 8 sets of tires for the season. My personal choice is BFG R1's. They seem to last longer than the Super Sports that I put on my car. Half way through the day, I had to move the Super Sport tires from the front to the rear before I corded them. The outside shoulder takes a beating, but with 3.5 degrees of negative camber, the outside shoulder almost wore through. Yes, this is a factory Mustang Miller Cup Car, so your gear will last longer, but you will still eventually have the same results.

Running at the track, in these cars, it is almost a must to run square. There are many advantages to this, and some advanced driving techniques that you will hopefully grow into.

Most of all, have fun! Be careful as this is addicting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts