Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

For the time being I am stuck with standard 13" wheels on the '65 6. Looking at tires, I am wondering what are the largest tires that people have run on these wheels without clearance problems?

Many thanks,

/s/ Chris Kennedy

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they still make 13 inch tires?
Yeah, they do, but that's another reason why I want to convert this car from a 6 to an 8, or else go to a 14" wheel with 4 lugs, which I would prefer not to do. The largest I have managed to find thus far is 185 80 13.

Thanks!
/s/ Chris

·
Registered
227 Posts
The factory 14" rims ran a 78 series tire. The diameter of the base wheel/tire was around 26", maybe a little taller. I ran 195/70 and 205/70 size tires on my '66. Your wheels are only 5" wide. Contact Mustangs Plus mustangsplus.com. They are very knowledgable about tire sizes and fitment. They also have a restoration/tech book that tells the proper diameter for your car and how to buy todays tires to fit any rim size you might want to put on your car. If you want, I can look for my copy after work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Let me add...It's getting difficult finding other 14" 60 and 50 series performance tires other than BFG T/As...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The factory 14" rims ran a 78 series tire. The diameter of the base wheel/tire was around 26", maybe a little taller. I ran 195/70 and 205/70 size tires on my '66. Your wheels are only 5" wide. Contact Mustangs Plus mustangsplus.com. They are very knowledgable about tire sizes and fitment. They also have a restoration/tech book that tells the proper diameter for your car and how to buy todays tires to fit any rim size you might want to put on your car. If you want, I can look for my copy after work.
Thanks for your advice and the reference--- I can take it from here.

/s/ Chris:shiny:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts