Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving on an old set of tires. They've still go tread on them, but they are rotted and you can see that. They will last me for a little while longer, but I'm not looking to push it.

The tire size currently on there is P245 / 50R16 .

I've been told they're a bit big for the car and I'm left to wonder why. Any thoughts on that one?

I was debating just going with the same size tire when I buy the new ones, but I've come here to let others post their thoughts and give me information. Note that I'm not interested in brand names here, people. I know there are plenty of good tire-makers out there. I'm looking at size alone.

Is there another tire size I should be using? Is my current size correct?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
because you have 16's, im assuming that you have pony wheels that are 16x7.

245's are too big. alot of people have them though. they DO fit on the wheel, obviously. but its a tight squeeze. also, the total diameter of your wheel with the tire is a bit different with the 245/50 on there, so youre speedometer could be off a bit too.

the pony wheel stock size is a 225/55/r16.
i am currently purchasing tires as well, so ive been looking into it.

i've talked to a few professionals, and the widest tire you can SAFELY fit on the 16x7 wheel is a 235/50. using the 235/50/16 will give you a bit more width, but still has the same overall diameter as the 225/55/16.

problem with 235/50's is that its a rarely made tire, available only in performance applications, which is okay... if you have the ca$h. youll be lucky to find them for under $120 apiece.

youre best bet is the 225/55/16. it looks GREAT on the wheel, the perfect width. so the tire doesnt bulge out over the wheel or anything. my dad has 225's on his TAHOE, trust me, its wide enough. you can get 225/55's online for as cheap is 62 dollars each, or up to 150 each. check www.tireseasy.com.

personal recommendation on a good tire, the bf-goodrich G-Force SPORT.
its about 79 bucks for each one, but its a GREAT tire. cant beat the quality for the price.

now i KNOW youre going to want to go wider, most people do. if you have 245's on now, obviously they fit. but if you want to keep the right wheel diameter, you should drop the sidewall ration to a 45.

225/55/16 (SAFE/BEST CHOICE)
235/50/16 ($$$$$$$$$$$)
245/45/16 (STUBBORN ******* WANTS A WIDE ASS TIRE)

see the pattern!?

the problem with the 245's, if you want to keep the right diameter, is that it is really low-profile. and since the tire is really too wide, it will need to bulge. if the side wall is too short, the tire will never seal up properly, and you could experience blowouts.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great information, answered every possible question I could have had!

I'll drop it down to a 225 and search for the 235s.

Thanks, man!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I run the ponys on my car

My tire size is 245/50/wr16

KUHMO ESCTA SUPRA 712. No problems at all with them. Great rain tire. Also very good traction on the dry pavement as well.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Stock tire size for my 88 Mustang GT is 225/60/15 which I use all the time,no problems with safety and no speedo gear change.
right now I'm using Dunlop SP 5000 Sport, excellent tire.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ya i need to get some new tires too, i'll prolly just get the cheapest i can, just to last me until this summer when i, hopefully, do my 5-lug conversion and get some chrome bullitt rims.:thumbsup But the KUHMO Ectsa's were looking pretty good for only being 51 bucks each!!! (on tirerack)

·
Banned
847 Posts
The KUHMO Ectsa's are great, I would say they are on par with the GY eagles. I got a set from jegs last year, and i love them. Great in the rain, and they really grip on dry roads. replacement for cooper cobras which i would never buy again.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
redhot87 said:
Ya i need to get some new tires too, i'll prolly just get the cheapest i can, just to last me until this summer when i, hopefully, do my 5-lug conversion and get some chrome bullitt rims.:thumbsup But the KUHMO Ectsa's were looking pretty good for only being 51 bucks each!!! (on tirerack)
I'm in the same situation.

I feel the 5 lug/4 Wheel ABS conversion coming (after I get the tranny rebuilt).

However, there is no telling how long that is going to take... so I'll just buy the best tires I can right now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Young_Buck said:
I'm in the same situation.

I feel the 5 lug/4 Wheel ABS conversion coming (after I get the tranny rebuilt).

However, there is no telling how long that is going to take... so I'll just buy the best tires I can right now.
ya i fell ya, like i said i hope to get them this summer, but i also need a tranny rebuild, and possibly a motor rebuild depending on how much longer this one will last me (its got about 224,000 miles). but if i do get my bullitts this summer i'll most likely be putting BFG G-force rubber on them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
so i just ordered some Kuhmo Ectsas... Can't wait to put them on next weekend!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Im running turbine wheels on my 89' (15x7) with 255 60 BFG T/A Radials on the back. Fit great and looks decently meaty in the back.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It took the sale of my old vehicle for me to afford the new tires, but it's finally done.

Kuhmo Ecsta 711s, same size that I've been working with (245/50/16) on those 16 inch pony rims. I didn't do it out of spite or because I was stubborn, the information was appreciated. I kept the larger tire size because (to me) it just looks badass. It fills the well up very well and looks aggressive.

Couldn't be happier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.