Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've been interested in getting some new tires and wheels for quite a while. After my last track day at Thunderhill, I'm at the point where I need some new rubber. I figured this is as good at time as any to move forward. I've been looking into many different combinations and I think I've finally settled on a set:

TSW Nurburgring Bronze in 18 x 9.5 with a 40 offset
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K-110, 275/40 R18 Rear, 255/45 R18 Front

I've already installed the Ford Racing 2005-2010 Mustang GT Coupe 1.0" Drop Handling Pack (M-FR3-MGT). My question is regarding the front fitment. I've read in a few places that in order to fit such wide wheels up front I'll have to adjust the steering bump stop. I think I even remember reading about a Ford Racing steering bump stop kit for this exact purpose. I can't seem to find the information I read a while back so I was wondering if some of these forums more seasoned users could help me out. Do I need a steering bump stop kit? If so, what's the best place to get one? My car is a daily driver; however, I do go out to my (relatively) local tracks about 4-5 times a year; Laguna Seca & Thunderhill (hope to do Infineon some day soon).

Sorry if this question has been answered before; I'm not the most educated person when it comes to suspension and wheel fitment but I'm working on it. Thanks in advance for your time and thoughtful input.

B
0 Posts
Hello All,

I've been interested in getting some new tires and wheels for quite a while. After my last track day at Thunderhill, I'm at the point where I need some new rubber. I figured this is as good at time as any to move forward. I've been looking into many different combinations and I think I've finally settled on a set:

TSW Nurburgring Bronze in 18 x 9.5 with a 40 offset
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K-110, 275/40 R18 Rear, 255/45 R18 Front

I've already installed the Ford Racing 2005-2010 Mustang GT Coupe 1.0" Drop Handling Pack (M-FR3-MGT). My question is regarding the front fitment. I've read in a few places that in order to fit such wide wheels up front I'll have to adjust the steering bump stop. I think I even remember reading about a Ford Racing steering bump stop kit for this exact purpose. I can't seem to find the information I read a while back so I was wondering if some of these forums more seasoned users could help me out. Do I need a steering bump stop kit? If so, what's the best place to get one? My car is a daily driver; however, I do go out to my (relatively) local tracks about 4-5 times a year; Laguna Seca & Thunderhill (hope to do Infineon some day soon).

Sorry if this question has been answered before; I'm not the most educated person when it comes to suspension and wheel fitment but I'm working on it. Thanks in advance for your time and thoughtful input.
If your car came with 18" wheels from the factory then you already have them. If not they can be purchased at your local Ford dealer but you can get away without them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like you've made up your mind on the wheel/tire combo but I'll throw this out there anyway.

Check Craigslist for 2012 Brembo wheel takeoffs with P-Zeros... I've found a few sets local to me for $1000 which is the cost of a set of TSWs. And those will clear the Brembo calipers if you decide to upgrade.

And since you do hit the track pretty often, consider getting R comps or at least a set of really sticky performance tires like Azenis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the idea JayP. I've looked at the take-offs and Ford Racing equivalent wheels. From what I've seen, they're all very heavy wheels at 29lbs and up. The Nurburgring wheel comes in at 21.5lbs in the size I wanted. Also, I haven't found a cost effective set of tires at 19"; it appears to me that 18" tires are much more affordable for the same make and model of tire.

It's my understanding that the Brembo big brake kit is the same is the brakes on the GT500. I've read about an otherwise stock GT500 with the same size Nurburgring wheels that I'm looking to get, 18 x 9.5. This leads me to believe that the wheel should be able to fit the Brembo big brake kit. Am I wrong about this?

I agree with you that getting more sticky tires is a good idea for the track. I'll have to check out the Azenis as I know nothing about them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm getting the Hankook Ventus R-S3 tires from Tire rack @ 285/35 ZR18 for $1048.00 and the Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 x .45 offset (5 x 114.3) from LSD Motorsports for $1264.00. My car is originally fitted with the 18" cast aluminum wheels. This combination will fit any big brake kit. This combination is lighter than the wheels you are looking at, and about the same price.

Here is a link to the P/N you are looking for:

How to install "steering stop" when upgrading to 18" rims? - MustangForums.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting the Hankook Ventus R-S3 tires from Tire rack @ 285/35 ZR18 for $1048.00 and the Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 x .45 offset (5 x 114.3) from LSD Motorsports for $1264.00. My car is originally fitted with the 18" cast aluminum wheels. This combination will fit any big brake kit. This combination is lighter than the wheels you are looking at, and about the same price.

Here is a link to the P/N you are looking for:

How to install "steering stop" when upgrading to 18" rims? - MustangForums.com
frankp, thanks for the info. I looked at the Enkei PF01 and it appears to be about 1-1.5 pounds lighter than the Nurburgring. I've found the Nurburgring for $1024 shipped, a little over $200 less than the PF01. Personally, I don't think the weight difference is worth the cost but that's just me. Also, I like the bronze color on the TSW which I don't see for the PF01.

I've heard good things about the R-S3 and I see that Tire Rack has it in sizes that would work for me. It also looks like the R-S3 set would only be about $120 more. I was going to order the tires from my local Big-O because they offered to mount and balance the tires on the rims for free. I'll call them up and see what they say about the price of the R-S3s.

With the steering stop installed, how would I know which size combinations of tire would fit?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I run the enkis as mentioned above with 275 35 18's on all 4 corners. These cars love to run square. I would not recommend a different tire front to rear. Take a look at the BFG R1 tires as they are less expensive and have more heat cycles in them than the Hoosier R6's. If you go with a different size tire front to rear, it will understeer more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mufflerbearing, thanks for the heads up on the BFG R1s. They look like good track tires. At this point in time, they would put this project out of my price range as they are $100 more per tire than I'd budgeted. However, when I get to the point where I can have a daily driver tire and a track tire I'll keep them in mind. May I ask which year Mustang you have and did you have any issue fitting 275s all the way around?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Tires are tricky as everyone has their opinions and faves. So here's mine :winks The Hankook Ventus V12s are great tires... I saw a nice program on SpeedTV a year or so ago, and they outperformed all the high-performance tires and in fact beat some of the even pricier race spec tires. I tried finding the link via google to attach, but no luck. I'll keep looking tho. So anyways, I went with the V12s and they are incredible. I would highly recommend. I went with 19's (255 front, 285 rear) and have zero rubbing issues on my 06. Good luck! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GTFun06, thanks for the reply. It's good to hear from someone that's using the same rubber I'm looking at getting. Do you think you have room for 275's up front? Also, what ratio are you running on your 255s? Do you get a lot of understeer with your staggered setup? Also, are your wheels 19x9s or 19x10s?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
GTFun06, thanks for the reply. It's good to hear from someone that's using the same rubber I'm looking at getting. Do you think you have room for 275's up front? Also, what ratio are you running on your 255s? Do you get a lot of understeer with your staggered setup? Also, are your wheels 19x9s or 19x10s?
No problem. Ok, I would have to check on the 275s up front. I bought OEM GT500 wheels 19x9.5 and matched the GT500 tire size setup. I started looking at the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1, but after doing more research found the V12 to be more what I was looking for.
My tires are 255/40/19 and 285/35/19. Very little understeer issues... even with the high crowned Michigan roads.

·
Registered
169 Posts
mufflerbearing, thanks for the heads up on the BFG R1s. They look like good track tires. At this point in time, they would put this project out of my price range as they are $100 more per tire than I'd budgeted. However, when I get to the point where I can have a daily driver tire and a track tire I'll keep them in mind. May I ask which year Mustang you have and did you have any issue fitting 275s all the way around?
My car is an '08 FR500S factory race car frame 23. It raced in the series with the BGF R1 245 40 18's on all four corners. There is absoutely no problem going with the set up I mentioned above. There is a lot of room. Of course, I am running a different suspension than most everyone else. These came stock with fully adjustable, compression and rebound, coil overs with remote reservoir. The car is not lowered, but still wouldn't rub the fenders if it was. The Enkis are perfect as they fit over the huge calipers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Something more to ponder, I use KDWs for my rain set. Wearing them in the dry, I am over 10 mph faster everywhere on the track with R compound tires. Obviously in the wet, not so much.

Street tires on a warm day, over 50 degrees, I melt them on the road course in 8 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts