Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the main problem with these 2 piece shafts? I get this harmonic noise only at 65mph. I've replaced shafts twice for this problem and it does fix it for about 5000 miles then it returns. I figured it can't be the rear since the new shaft takes care of the problem for a short time. Could it be that these shafts can't hold up ? Would a spyder shaft be a good solution?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Thanks
Hey I have an auto. Any problems with nvh?
Yes a spyder shaft will take care of the problem. As will any number of the other one piece shafts. I have the Spyder shaft and it works great and a good price

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
The only driveshaft that I've heard zero reported problems from is the Powerhouse. Every other one has some complaints on this forum.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I just bought one with the safety loop.I can not wait, to see what it will do for my car.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Im a auto and love my Spydershaft! no issues at all. the Powerhouse shaft is good too.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
+1 on the Spydershaft: Ron Leonard stands by his product and will do whatever is necessary to ensure that it works as advertised and at no additional expense until it does.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So all you spydershaft guys had no issues? All you did was change the pinion flange and bolt the shaft right in? Was there any adjustments ? I've been reading about how 4 inch shafts have clearance problems in these stangs. The last thing i want is to hit a big dip in the road and hear a metal smack off the floor pan .
I'm not reading a bad thing about the powerhouse either.

I just want to bolt this shaft in and not have to mess with it again.
Thanks again

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
If you putting it on a stock suspension then there is no adjustments needed with any 4" drive shaft. If you have a lowered car depending on how low it sits you might experence a drive shaft touching the tunnel with extra weight in the car or some bad bumpt. With a lowered car you will also need to adjust the pinion angle.

It doesn't make any difference who made the 4" drive shaft if your worried about hitting the tunnel.

Mine is stock stance and have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds great then. Shame we have to dish out money for fords screw up.
:bigthumbsup

Now to decide on which 1 with my auto. Spyder or powerhouse

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Sounds great then. Shame we have to dish out money for fords screw up.
:bigthumbsup

Now to decide on which 1 with my auto. Spyder or powerhouse
Good luck. I went with the Spyder one because of the price first and I didn't want a spacer between the D/S and the rear flange. Thats just me

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just bought this driveshaft from Lightning Force Performance. I had some questions about the shaft before I purchased it. The sales rep, Mike, was very helpful. He called the driveshaft manufacturer to get answers to my questions. He called me back within the hour with the info.

It was hard to judge the quality by the photo alone. I looks like a nice piece but I purchased it mainly due to the price point. At $539 with free shipping it seemed like a good deal. Now for the scary part. Trying a product that I can't find any reviews on as of yet. I should have it installed over the next couple of weeks. I will post a review of the product once its done.

LFP True Street Aluminum 3.5'' Drive Shaft 2005-08 Mustang [586486] - $539.95 : Lightning Force Performance

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey best of luck to you. Takes some gutts to buy a shaft without reading any reviews. Worst comes to worst you just return it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey best of luck to you. Takes some gutts to buy a shaft without reading any reviews. Worst comes to worst you just return it.
Thanks. We'll see what happens. It's kind of like buying in the 90's when the web wasn't around. Remember that? First you had to request a catalog from an ad you saw in magazine. Wait for it to come around. Thumb through the pages. Sometimes buy with a money order only. No email confirmations informing you of scheduled deliveries. Crazy..."The dark Ages":gringreen

Anyway, I'll post a thread on the new shaft....good or bad.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Thanks. We'll see what happens. It's kind of like buying in the 90's when the web wasn't around. Remember that? First you had to request a catalog from an ad you saw in magazine. Wait for it to come around. Thumb through the pages. Sometimes buy with a money order only. No email confirmations informing you of scheduled deliveries. Crazy..."The dark Ages":gringreen

Anyway, I'll post a thread on the new shaft....good or bad.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The only driveshaft that I've heard zero reported problems from is the Powerhouse. Every other one has some complaints on this forum.
I've done 4 Spyders and had my pinion angle professionally set. Still get a vibration at 95mph+. I'm tired of all 5 driveshafts!!! :so

I'm pondering my next step. Replace the factory anchor or try another brand. Ron at Spyder had the last one balanced at 2 different places and had them split the weights front and back and checked for runout. ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED :headscratch:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I've done 4 Spyders and had my pinion angle professionally set. Still get a vibration at 95mph+. I'm tired of all 5 driveshafts!!! :so

I'm pondering my next step. Replace the factory anchor or try another brand. Ron at Spyder had the last one balanced at 2 different places and had them split the weights front and back and checked for runout. ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED :headscratch:
Hey Steve, have you checked your axles? Seems I remember someone had the same issue with vibration on a number of different shafts...turns out one of his axles was the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i don't want to take a gamble so i took my car to work and put it on the lift. I unbolted the front shaft flange and turned it 1/4 turn.
Feels good now and I'm done screwing with it.
Still want to see the outcome of Jay98's driveshaft install.
HEY Steve, i also read somewhere that the vibration over 95 is in the rear.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.