Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THANK YOU to all on this Forum for your replies to my sound insulation & tire questions.

Did the back half last year while installing SLIVERHORSE quarter window louvers.

Pony got new shoes - Continental Extreme Contact DW 245/45 R19 and Dynamat from the back seat forward.

zero tire noise, zero road noise, just the sweet sound of that Coyote and her GT500 Axelbacks !

STICKS LIKE GLUE AND HEAVEN TOO ! !!

Thanks to everyone on this FORUM for your opinions and assistance.

RWSRWS

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Congrats on all the work. That is a lot of Dynamat. I'm going to start with the rear and trunk area. I have to pull the back seat to put in a passenger harness. Another case of, "While I'm in there ..." About how much Dynamat should I get? I noticed in your trunk pic you didn't "wallpaper" it the way you did the floor. Any advice about doing that area? Thanks.

The DW is a really nice tire. I tracked my car on them last year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nine sheets (1 box) did the rear seat area, trunk, spare tire well and inside of the doors.

I was surprised to use the same amount on the front floor, transmission/driveshaft tunnel and the inside of the hog troughs (subframe)

It does not have to be 100% solid to be effective, however it was easy to cover the flat areas 100%.

Really nice difference in the way the car feels.

RWSRWS

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
704 Posts
.....and Dynamat from the back seat forward. zero tire noise, zero road noise, just the sweet sound of that Coyote and her GT500 Axelbacks!

Ooooh, please share in detail how the Dynamat install on your car went.

Please-please-please-please, I've been thinking about doing this myself.

Did you consider putting some in the trunk area? Where the suspension mounts? I'm thinking the trunk area is a huge noise box.

And cost? Time?

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
I'm doing this tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to pulling everything out.
That sure does look like a big job. And I'd be worried that I'd never get it back in the way it was before.

But the trunk and under the rear seat areas looks easy. I wonder if that would make a significant difference? And would it quiet rear end whine?

·
Registered
704 Posts
That sure does look like a big job. And I'd be worried that I'd never get it back in the way it was before.

But the trunk and under the rear seat areas looks easy. I wonder if that would make a significant difference? And would it quiet rear end whine?

Removing the seats and carpets seems easy, but the center console and some trim panels might be a pain. I'd imagine one could effectively Dynamat their Mustang just removing the seats and carpets, but it may be necessary to remove the center console to get the carpets out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
in my opinion if you are going to go as far as removing the rockers and seats, may as well pop the center console too and do the job right.

Not all that hard and the diagram is available on line.

RWSRWS

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Did for me !

I had the back half out while doing the Silverhorse Racing quarter window louvers. Swapped out the factory radio speakers while I was at it.

well worth the effort !!!

RWSRWS

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ooooh, please share in detail how the Dynamat install on your car went.

Please-please-please-please, I've been thinking about doing this myself.

Did you consider putting some in the trunk area? Where the suspension mounts? I'm thinking the trunk area is a huge noise box.

And cost? Time?
costs about $180/box

1 box rear, one front.

difficult, no.

time consuming, yes.

well worth it IMHO

RWSRWS

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
it was easy. took 4 hours to door the doors and under the carpet. taking the seats out was the hardest part and it wasn't that hard. Made a big difference in road noise and sound system sounds better too. I used 36 sqft. once the seats are out the console is 4 bolts and its out.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I always worry about breaking something when removing door panels and side panels etc. without knowing where the pins are.

Did you use any special tools and do you have any other advice on door panel removal? Any other side panels need removed etc.?

Some more photos would be cool if you have them.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I always worry about breaking something when removing door panels and side panels etc. without knowing where the pins are.

Did you use any special tools and do you have any other advice on door panel removal? Any other side panels need removed etc.?

Some more photos would be cool if you have them.
door panels are easy. just don't over tighten then screws when putting it back on. The door sills are a PITA to get back on. Basically it uses 1 time pins. I ordered 2 more. I just pulled the rear seat panels off a little bit. just where it meets the front door so I could get the seat belt off and the carpet out.. no special tools needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts