Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Banned
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys so im either gonna get a new car for college and driving back and forth or just put a new 3.8 in the stang anyone have any suggestions i have 10K

· Registered
7 Posts
Well, first is it paid for? Then how many miles on the car and do you like it? My first opinion is if it is paid for, get a motor and get another 5 or 10 years out of the caryou know and like. You might spend $5000 on the car but it is cheaper than a $10000 for a car that you don't know the history or reliability.

· Registered
223 Posts
**** if you have 10k and your currents car body is in good shape throw in a Ford Racing 5.0 Crate motor for like 6k and spend the rest on suspension/wheels/etc or save to pay of your college loan :bigthumbsup

· Registered
7,172 Posts
For commuting to college, spend as little as possible, meaning fix what you have. You won't need to spend all of it. I doubt you'd have to spend more than $3000. So save the $7000 for a down payment on a new car once you graduate. :bigthumbsup

· Registered
738 Posts
go get a 4.2, then its back on the road, and a step up.

· Registered
1,557 Posts
Id say if you don't live too far away buy a bike and put a pony grill on the handle bars and use the 10k to pay off college :p

On a serious note. If the car has too many miles a new one might be a better option than a new engine

· Registered
738 Posts
A full drivetrain used for the mustang can be had for less than most new cars....

4.2 Engine 300-600 + install

· Registered
3,756 Posts
why are you contemplating getting a new motor garrett? thought the car was running fine

· Registered
1,450 Posts
save the money and finish college education....
if there is something wrong with your motor just get it fixed... when you get out of college and get a good paying job and buy another car then mod your mustang if you want.

· Banned
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its paid for it has 155K miles 3.8 never any major problems with it its always been adult kept and driven. if i have to get a new car im thinkin i should just get HCI 4.2 and FI and be slow :yup: ill have he money for it :kooky:

· Registered
2,905 Posts
V8 sucks to much gas
FYI you are only saving +1 MPG highway and +2 mpg city over a 99-04 GT 5 speed. That calculates to you saving a whole $5 per tank. lol

Do you realize that gas=energy, and to produce V8 power you are going to be using the same amount of gas? When you are cruising around like grandma you would be the only time you will get that 1 or 2 MPG extra. And if you are cammed, you probably won't even get that....

· Registered
2,118 Posts
I don't really agree with ya on the V8 only being marginally better on gas.

My buddies 01 GT has never and probably will never see a 30+ mpg highway mileage, and my V6 has laid down 32+ mpg on nearly every trip to California I've made. Around town the V6 may only be a bit better, but then again if you drive civilized it usually translates to better mileage.

As far as dropping 10K or any amount of money into a car that has no issues is crazy to me. 155K? Hell my 01 V6 just turned 174K and still drives like it had 80K on it when I first picked it up. I beat the hell out of my car; its been to the drag strip multiple times, I take it on all my long trips and I've even hydrolocked the motor before on it around 120K lol.

· Registered
2,905 Posts
That was the ratings straight off fueleconomy.gov for a V6 auto (which OP has) & 4.6 manual.

I have been able to exceed their mileage rating in my V6 and my V8. I was able to actually hit 30 mpg once in my stockish 95 5.0 while doing 100% highway. I've never had a stock 4.6 on a road trip so I can't comment there.

As for you and your buddy, both manuals? Gears? I don't know what speed gives the best highway mileage, but that could be part of your difference as well as driving habits.

· Registered
2,743 Posts
I could get my 01 GT over 30MPG without much fuss, setting the cruise around 60-65MPH did it for me.

· Banned
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
30 MPG!!!! how the **** are you guys seeing this i go through 3/4 of a tank driving 200 miles!!

· Registered
6,151 Posts
5speeds make the big difference. inefficient autos kill us

· Registered
2 Posts
squealing noise/96 ford mustang v6 3.8 liter

I just had a new/used motor dropped into my 96 ford mustang V6 3.8 liter. The car now has a squealing noise that it did not have before. I know for sure that it is not the belt or pullies, we have already tested for that. We think it may be transmission related but not sure? We do know that it is because of the new/used engine and/or the way it was installed. There is no rhyme or reason to when the squealing occurs, it is not constant but it happens most of the time the car is running. The sound is just like a belt slipping but as I said, we know it is not the belt, we took the belt off and ran the motor and it still made the sound. I'm hoping someone can give suggestions?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.