Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

So when we picked up our 96 Cobra the seller threw in the h-pipe I posted below.

I was wondering what the opinions were on whether or not I should reinstall it. Right now we're getting an 02 censor and misfire codes which he claim came about when he put the pipe on. He then took it off, but we're still getting the codes anyhow, so I'm thinking if I'm going to do it maybe I'll do it now.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
the code has nothing to do with the pipe he reinstalled the old one because of the cats. if you have smog testing in your area . the H off road pipe will not pass. you have other problems

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:gringreenOk thanks..... But i know i need the cats to inspect it but should i put that h-pipe on or is it going to make the car run worse?? And if i could find out how to keep the check engine light from going on when or if i install it!!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
thats not why ur engine lite is coming on. i have LT headers on mine with hi flow cats. Is there a place in the h pipe for o2 sensors? There should be. The reason the guy took it off is so it will pass. He cant sell it if it wont pass.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The code would still be stored in the ECU after the cats were put back on,that why the CE light is coming on, you need to clear to codes,get a new pair of O2's,and HELL YES re-install the O/R H, it will NOT hurt anything, it'll have less backpressure and more top end power! A couple options to keep the CE lite off when running an HPipe, get Mil eliminators or a hand held tuner (Predator, SCT Xcal) so you can have a custom tune loaded into your ECU that turns off the O2's

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks for all the help!!!!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hey George; I don't know much about New York State inspection laws, but if their law states that you should run cats to pass vehicle inspection. Then I would run a free-flowing catted X pipe, it will scavenge the gasses much better then an H pipe. An H pipe is nothing more, then a balance tube and as far as MIL Eliminators they don't last very long before you get that code popping back up on you again. Magnaflow or Bassani make excellent free-flowing catted X Pipes, with good free-flowing cat backs exhaust systems. I have a 96 SVT Cobra Convertible, which is very heavily modded there is a very long list of parts all forged placed into a Tecksid Aluminum Block that's all reinforced in the right places. Other then the custom made Doug Thorley headers, the rest of the exhaust is Bassani with a catted X pipe and the car made 402rwhp, and 418rwtq. the last time I tuned and dynoed the car. And this is N/A, not forced induction, or definetly not on any bottle this is all motor and a lot of money. I've been working on Mustangs, for over forty years and evryone has their own opinions as you can see. Whatever you decide, just make sure you do your research first, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok that sounds like a great idea!:wavey

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Nice numbers mike, getting over 400 N/A is impressive, some serious head, intake, and cam work had to be done to achieve that number! When your talking about a NA Cobra with a couple boltons you'll see NO difference on the Dyno between an O/R H and X, a couple HP one way or the other, I personally HATE the sound off O/R X's and many feel the same way, Tinny, like marbles are rattling inside the pipes. Mike you don't seem to be a Big fan of the H-Pipe? All I know is there's plenty of 800+ HP Whipple Cobra's out there running Long Tubes with shorty O/R H Midpipes! When I install LT's that'll be the route I'll take:bigthumbsup
Bassani does make nice systems But damm the prices are Steep! Their catted X is over $500!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah and their high flow cats are expensive to!!!!! BUT they do make the car sound better without having to eliminate the cats:D.