Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so i'm getting the last few pieces together for my H/C/I swap and i have a question about my valve springs. They are Anderson Ford Motorsport Hi-Rev springs part number: AF-HR-15018. The specs are 1.47" diameter, 1.800" install height
Seat pressure 150lb @ 1.800", open pressure 450lb @ 1.200" MAX LIFT .600". Now my cam calls for 110lbs closed and 312 open.. Are these AFM springs to much for my cam? I don't want to collapse a lifter or cause major damage to anything. I've heard that to much spring eats power as well? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
A bit much.

Have you tried PAC springs?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit much.

Have you tried PAC springs?
no haven't looked into those, i got a good deal on the AFM so i picked those up and went ahead and put them on.. So you think that it would damage anything?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well more spring is more weight. You wanna keep mass down.

Also too much pressure can wear the cam lobes prematurely or even collapse the lifter at high rpm's.

Valve springs have come a long way in the last tens years with better materials, different rolling process, different coiling, different shapes, materials.

Give PAC a call and see what they recommend for your cam.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those springs will be fine with your cam, you will need good lifters. and the whole too much spring eating power is total B.S.
Ok yeah i thought that sounded weird.. so you don't think the Ford Racing lifters will be able to handle it? What would you recommend?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
For what its worth. I run the 977-16 comp cams springs on my 302. Comp cams 851-16 lifters. Spring specs are 155lb seat and 420lb open. Been that way for almost 3 years, and not one issue. Many factors decide spring specs. Valve train wieght , cam aggressiveness, rpm you plan on spinning. I feel this is an area that its better to error on the side of more than less. Without over doing it of course. I buzz mine pretty hard, and I do it a lot. Never had one hint of valve float.

What cam do you have?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I got some never used Comp Cam 851 lifter for cheap if you need. PM me.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For what its worth. I run the 977-16 comp cams springs on my 302. Comp cams 851-16 lifters. Spring specs are 155lb seat and 420lb open. Been that way for almost 3 years, and not one issue. Many factors decide spring specs. Valve train wieght , cam aggressiveness, rpm you plan on spinning. I feel this is an area that its better to error on the side of more than less. Without over doing it of course. I buzz mine pretty hard, and I do it a lot. Never had one hint of valve float.

What cam do you have?
Its a Steeda 19 with 1.7rr .512/.512 lift 220/226 duration @ .50 lift or 280/286 advertised

1 - 10 of 10 Posts