Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for the past couple of weeks at things to make my stang run better. I have done several mods and have a little money left to do maybe one more. I have been looking at nitrous systems lately. Does anyone have a nitrous system that they recommend above any other? If i use nitrous will it hurt my engine? I have talked to several people that say as long you keep enough fuel going to the engine while using nitrous that it won't hury anything, is this true?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nitrous

:worship
I play things very safe when using a power adder. Bigger fuel pump, colder plugs, cooler thermostat, and other safety factors is what I started with on a 75 hp Nitrous Express shot. I have no worries about my engine holding up to it. A cheap system is just that, CHEAP. A good system with all of the precautions is not cheap, but is fairly safe.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you wanna go with nos i suggest getting the kit that injects the nos straight through your injectors. The kit cost a little over a thousand bucks but much safer then those dry kits. My friend has a SVT Lighting and still shot a spark plug through his hood with a dry kit. Thats with a 4v SVT spec motor. Not worth a couple of sprays and a whole lot of money to repair your motor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. This car is my everyday driver and I do not want longevity to become an issue. I have seen the kits that you are talking about for just a little over 1000 dollars. My original idea was to go with a dry kit for about 500 dollars but don't want to risk hurting my engine. So I guess it is back to saving my money again, i think since I am going to have to start saving again I may just try to save enough to get a kenne bell, although that will be quite some time away.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Kits

I agree that the direct port (or nossle style) is a little better for distribution, especially on larger shot, but other styles are more than acceptable. The reason I run a wet kit it to avoid a particularly leaan cylinder. Just one injector that is not capable of picking up the added load and you have damage such as a blown out spark plug (thank ford for the lack of threads) or a melted piston. The only drawback with a wet kit with a single distribution point is the possiblity of the dreaded nitrous backfire. Can still do damage, but usually not near as much.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I like the "saving for a KB" idea myself. But it is quite expensive. N2O when done properly and tuned safely is just as much of a kick in the pants to drive. David has the right ideas, before or at the latest WHEN you put the N2O on, beef up the fuel system and drop a range on spark plugs and thermostat. Do yourself a HUGE facvor and have the car tuned for the spray also to make sure everything is in good order before putting it on the street.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input again guys, I know that if N2O is done correctly it is as safe and just as reliable as other power adders, but I just feel like after reading this, there may just be too much room left for error. This car is my baby and I have to have it runnning, haha. I think I am going to start the saving for the KB, it will give me peace of mind.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have you thought of the possibility of heads and cams? You could get come really nice horse power for about half of what a supercharger will cost you. And with stock engine components a supercharger couldnt be run a really high boost with out the danger of severe wear on your engine. Plus those plastic intake minfolds that come in 99+ GTs cant handle too much boost saftly.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If your GT is a daily driver, I wouldn't reccommend ANY power adders. One mess up and say bye-bye to your engine. Even if your nitrous is properly set up, you are causing unecessary damage to the engine. I've owned 2 turbocharged cars and both were a PITA to maintain. Just my .02 cents .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How big of a PITA would it be to change the cams and heads? Also where would be a good place to purchase them?

·
Registered
573 Posts
sandron19 said:
I have been looking around for the past couple of weeks at things to make my stang run better. I have done several mods and have a little money left to do maybe one more. I have been looking at nitrous systems lately. Does anyone have a nitrous system that they recommend above any other? If i use nitrous will it hurt my engine? I have talked to several people that say as long you keep enough fuel going to the engine while using nitrous that it won't hury anything, is this true?
You don't want NOS at this point.....waste of time and $$...........If you don't have the internals and fuel system for it your engine will be toast very quickley........
Next..how often do you really need to use the NOs????
Wouldn't it be better to actually have that extra HP right then and always or just whenever.......???

Info on the Nozzle system.......It can be built from scratch for half the price of that 1,200$ unit being sold!!!!
My shop guy just built one for his LT1 Camero and it's better than the 1,200$ kit...

·
Registered
573 Posts
sandron19 said:
How big of a PITA would it be to change the cams and heads? Also where would be a good place to purchase them?

Cams---600$ (mine are custom ground by HPP)
Springs-280$ (you must get springs with new cams)

Labor--800?
Tune Dyno & chip-500$+
(must get tune !)

Comp cams Suck!!!!!!! For the GT!

There are "Other" custom cams you can find that are ground for the PI Heads by Racers.

Manny at HPP racing here in Fort Worth/Dallas is one of the best Mustang and LT1 builders in the Country.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.