Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OEM pony wheels on my 91 look pretty cruddy. I was recently at a swap meet and all used non-chrome wheels for sale were about as bad as mine. I was in Pep Boys the other day and saw silver 'wheel paint'. Is this stuff junk or will it actually work? If anyone has done this did you have to remove tires from rims first, or were you able to get away with carefully taping them off?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I refinished the wheels on my 89 gt(Pony's) this summer.I chose to use base,clear.
To do the job right remove the rubber,weights & valve.I would not use spray bomb,it is just a poor cover up.You could strip all the paint & polish the wheels.Takes time though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is there any value in those wheels still?...I have a set laying around..What would they bring on Ebay in goodshape?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Get them powder coated....from what I hear that is the way to go....

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I painted my 89 Turbines with the silver wheel paint and it came out very nice. I used about 6 coats of clear coat. It has held up for about a year now and I have maybe 1 or 2 scratches on them from rocks only.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ga-Pony said:
Is there any value in those wheels still?...I have a set laying around..What would they bring on Ebay in goodshape?
I actually may be interested in some. Where are you located? Im in Washington so shipping can end up being a pain. PM me if you are near here.

Also, powdercoating is getting cheaper and cheaper, and it will basically last forever with no major damage, thats what I would do probably.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never even thought about powder coating them! I might try the spray can to get me through the winter since I can do them one at a time with the car in my driveway, then do it right next spring . Just bought the car and am trying to do a little each of cosmetic & performance right away so the $$ is getting spread thin quickly. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
192 Posts
LOL...I am in Georgia...Shipping would cost a bundle..THose wheels are chunky..

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ga-Pony said:
LOL...I am in Georgia...Shipping would cost a bundle..THose wheels are chunky..
I was afraid of that... lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.