Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my 2011 mustang for about a year now and water no longer beads on some parts of the hood. The clear coat is still vary crisp and shiny. There are a few and i mean vary few light swerls that you cant see unless your face is right up against the panle.

That begs the question, should i use Polish (pre-waxing glaze) before i wax the car or should i skip right to waxing after i wash the car?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks, yeah i thought Polish might of been to early to use on such light scratches.

gonna go out and get some clay bars now lol.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Agreed. Polish is a corrective step you take for surface scratches, oxidation and other imperfections. If you don't have any of these issues clay then wax.

I use a gloss enhancing type of sealant then top with a carnuba. The two products I use are Obsessive Detail Wet Shine and Wet Obsession. The water literally runs off in sheets.

B

·
0 Posts
You'll also notice that the wax will fill in some of those swirls and minimize or even completely hide their appearance. Using a good microfiber cloth will help reduce future swirls and switching up your patterns help too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Try claying followed up with Megs Ultimate Polish and NXT wax.

No harm here. The Ultimate polish is only the slightest bit abbrasive with lots of polishing oils. Just used it with excellent results on my '96. Don't be stingy with it, though, as you don't want to let it dry out at all before wiping off.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Strip the paint of your old wax.
Do a clay job
Then a paint cleaner
Then thin coat of wax, let it cure
Then do another thin coat of wax

I wouldn't use abrasives if your paint truly doesn't need any correction.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Becareful using a clay bar. I used the Turtle Ice clay bar on a small portion of my hood and it visably dulled the paint. I used very slight pressure and plenty of the spray lubricant too. A word to the wise...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Becareful using a clay bar. I used the Turtle Ice clay bar on a small portion of my hood and it visably dulled the paint. I used very slight pressure and plenty of the spray lubricant too. A word to the wise...
Are you sure you didn't still have wax on and you dulled it vs the paint. I've made the mistake myself of using a clay bar on another car where I didn't do a great job of removing the wax. It was was actually not wax, it was Zaino which is more of a sealant. The Zaino is so durable it takes a few washes with dish soap to remove it thoroughly. I only did one wash and I started to clay bar. Every few feet I would get a spot where the clay bar was creating a "dry" looking area where it appeared like the clear coat was gone. I freaked out and it took a little research before I was told to use more dish soap or wax remover. It immediately fixed the issue and the dry spots vanished.

Point being, clay bar over a car with wax still on the surface will create dry spots that appear to be missing clear coat.

·
Registered
381 Posts
seems like something was off.

a shelf bar like mothers, megs, turtle are more like a finishing bar. very light, seems like you were still removing some type of wax/sealant.

If you use a medium/heavy bar it will marr the paint and will require polish. unless you used a harsh turtle bar, that im not aware they sell. then again i dont buy shelf brands.

Also different brands have different clear coat levels and react different.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought clay bar could be used to remove the wax?

And when people say Dawn soap.. which one do they use? What about the ones with scent/different colors?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I thought clay bar could be used to remove the wax?

And when people say Dawn soap.. which one do they use? What about the ones with scent/different colors?
It's not intended to remove wax however it will remove it in some areas in addition to creating the issue I described above.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've seen the general consensus on various other car and/or detailing forums being that claybar does remove wax effectively. Of course, there are disputes, but in general...

·
Registered
108 Posts
No harm here. The Ultimate polish is only the slightest bit abbrasive with lots of polishing oils. Just used it with excellent results on my '96. Don't be stingy with it, though, as you don't want to let it dry out at all before wiping off.

Used it on my Kona and it looks amazing! Going to try some Blackfire Wet Diamond next time.:bounce2:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Every 3-4 months I do the whole process with Zaino products. Wash with dawn soap, clay, couple coats of wax, spray detail, and clear sealant (seals all the work I just did). These products are more expensive than what you find in Wal-Mart, but the shine and value is so worth it. Your paint will look wet and feel as smooth as butter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
uhh, I thought dishwashing soap destroys your clear coat. I had a friend told me once that he washed his moms car with it when he was 15 and almost got murdered by his father because it lost most of its gloss.
Any truth to this ? (<.<)a

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
uhh, I thought dishwashing soap destroys your clear coat. I had a friend told me once that he washed his moms car with it when he was 15 and almost got murdered by his father because it lost most of its gloss.
Any truth to this ? (<.<)a
No. Never heard this before and have used it for years to remove wax.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Every 3-4 months I do the whole process with Zaino products. Wash with dawn soap, clay, couple coats of wax, spray detail, and clear sealant (seals all the work I just did). These products are more expensive than what you find in Wal-Mart, but the shine and value is so worth it. Your paint will look wet and feel as smooth as butter.
So which is it?

I've always read that you wax after sealant. I hand wax my car with carnauba paste wax. It's a pain in the ass but it's so worth it. If I lay down two coats of it and seal it, how would that work considering carnauba wears out in about 4 months? Would the sealant allow the shine from the carnauba wax last as long as itself?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts