Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my boyfriend's brother is driving me absolutely INSANE. I have a completely stock 06 GT, 5-spd. He has an '02 Chev Duramax diesel (extended cab and all that). Not knowing a whole lot about diesels, I know he's installed a 'box', upgraded his transmission and several other things. He's absolutely DYING to race my Mustang and it's driving HIM crazy that I won't. He knows I won't street race, so he keeps challenging me to take it to the track, which I keep turning him down. I mean, wtf! I'm pretty sure with all that he's done, he'd probably kick my butt...so what would be the point?? Just for him to sit back and say he can outrun a 'new' Mustang?! What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
fordgrl99 said:
Okay, my boyfriend's brother is driving me absolutely INSANE. I have a completely stock 06 GT, 5-spd. He has an '02 Chev Duramax diesel (extended cab and all that). Not knowing a whole lot about diesels, I know he's installed a 'box', upgraded his transmission and several other things. He's absolutely DYING to race my Mustang and it's driving HIM crazy that I won't. He knows I won't street race, so he keeps challenging me to take it to the track, which I keep turning him down. I mean, wtf! I'm pretty sure with all that he's done, he'd probably kick my butt...so what would be the point?? Just for him to sit back and say he can outrun a 'new' Mustang?! What do you all think?
Just go to the track. Who cares who wins (you will) but it's just a lot of fun! You be hooked for life. My wife and I race on the same drag team and we have so much fun. Try it!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Going to the track is fun, but do it because you want to. Don't let his childish, I have to have a better toy ego, make you do somethign you don't want to.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Go to the track if that's what YOU want to do. I have a friend that swears his PT Cruiser (Turbo) :hihi: will take me........I told him let's hit the track and he just chuckles.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a friend that Has a DuraMax that has a box and he is getting 600HP out of it. Its a 4x4 and he can smoke all 4 tires. Impressive. He also blew the front tranny with that power. Maybe you can take him up on the race and maybe he will blow his tranny too. Then you can laugh all the way to the finish line. Just be careful. Take it to the track and have fun. My bet is on him if he has the right box.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I seen several diesel trucks that have been modded run into the 11s. Those guys had larger turbos, Bully Dog boxes, etc. Kinda funny watching a gazillion pound F350 dulie charging down the 1/4 belching huge plumes of black smoke. Ahhh.. Rednecks and their toys.

If he just has the tune, you should be able to take him rather easily. However, if challenges you to a tractor pull, don't bite.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
2006GT said:
However, if challenges you to a tractor pull, don't bite.
:evilchuck

You have a sports car, have a little fun with it, race him.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Just remember, if you do beat him, dont gloat too much...I mean he is your boyrfriend's brother...oh heck...GLOAT!!!!

If you are comfortable with your car, take it to the track and do as they "let your hair down" and have some fun. Look at it this way, if you win...he shuts up...if he wins, so what, he needed a heaviy modded truck to beat your car...in either case, you find out what your car is capable of doing.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
its a big a$$ truck though, that weighs way over what your stang does. hes gonna need a lot of hp to beat you. hp per pound ratio sucks on a truck, especially one that big. plus, no way can it launch as hard either. (traction is a big problem with racing trucks because of the weight balance) unless he has just sunk in metric tons of $$$ into that truck, no way will he beat you. stock a duramax runs like an 18 sec 1/4 mile!!! he'd have to shave off 4 seconds just to hang with you. to down and out smoke you, add another second on top of that. it costs a lot of $$$ to shave 4 to 5 seconds off of a vehicle, especially a truck. go to the track and show him and his beloved "bowtie" what racing is all about... oh yes, and gloat unlike youve never gloated before...

ps - if you really do believe he may beat you, you can always slap on a 100 shot of N20 for about 600 bucks....that ought to even things up a bit...:hihi:​

at any rate, whether i win or not, ill never back down from a challenge at the track...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so I am thinking about this...or at least maybe having my Dad run him (he used to race a lot on the track with his Mustangs and stands a better shot of not burning the clutch out like I probably would - this is my first standard!).

Last night I asked Ross (the boyfriend) to explain to me what Joe's truck has. Hope this makes sense to someone! He basically has 2 boxes installed. One is a custom 350 version of a PPE. The other is a TFT Powermax. He also has electronic front locks, some sort of fast fuel setup and an ATF fully adjustable transmission. Even with the weight of the truck, I'm thinking that's more horses than I've got!

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Even if that thing has 600HP, it's still HEAVY. I really doubt it could beat you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A Duramax with a box that has a good tune can easily see 400 HP. I've never seen one with 600 HP w/ just a box though...

It is no uncommon to see a Duramax in the 13s, or even 12s. There are even a few running 10s in full street dress and full sheet metal.

He'll have traction too, with an upgraded tranny he can launch hard in 4WD.

I wouldn't count the truck out by any means... but keep us posted!

Craig

·
Registered
240 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Even if that thing has 600HP, it's still HEAVY. I really doubt it could beat you.
Like 2006GT said above, I've seen big old 1-ton crew cab dually 4X4's run low 11's with these boxes and trans tuners (and yeah, they look funny as all get out doing it). A stock 06 Mustang GT is good for 13.6 or so at best with stock street tires. That adds up to a good possibility that the truck could win.

Has he ever run the truck on the track before? If so, how did it do or would this be the first time for him also?

Either way, go ahead and hit the track just to have a great time.

BTW, my best time before the Flowmasters (I haven't been back since I put them on) was 13.678 seconds at 103.something MPH (without removing the spare and jack) and I'm a novice at drag racing. Dynoing it on a Mustang Dyno after the Flowmasters came in at 261HP and 275 TQ.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know he and some other friends with 'turned up' diesels were at the track at LaRue for test and tune a couple of weeks ago. I heard he did pretty good, but didn't get his actual numbers. This group usually goes in for the truck pulls but were having an old-fashioned pissing contest that they were smart enough to take to the track. It's kinda funny to see these "good ole boys" out there on the track with their 4x4s and laptops (hooked up to monitor the truck). Crazy.

I think I'll look into it. Maybe head to the track before it gets too cold and check it out. Who knows - maybe I could even do it and NOT chicken out! :embarrassed I'm just really concerned about doing damage to the car....

Thanks for all the advice, comments and encouragement!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Do what you like, but you'll have fun racing. I race my car on the track, and one night I was able to give my wife two rides down the track and she loved it.
Here's a video of me racing a Dodge pickup with NOS, and I have a 05 mustang GT with the Saleen supercharger.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6ddf57e9-53f3-4e63-b3bb-54095a11ba1d.htm

Depending on the track prep and how bad you spin the tires on take off, I won't race on the track with street tires anymore. I fishtailed real bad one night where I went into the other lane and headed for the wall, lucky for me I fishtailed a fourth time and went back into my lane. If you race him, make a few runs down the track first to get use to it and then race him. Get some pointers from the guys at the track on what to do and not to do. If you fishtail, LET OFF THE GAS and keep the front wheels pointed down the track. Don't try to over correct, that's what I did and I fishtailed four time in that one run, plus that was with street tire.

Don't let me scare you. It is a lot of fun, you just need to know what your doing and you'll do fine.
If you do race him, VIDEO tape it and we can make fun of him when you win (J/K). But do video tape. Best of luck if you race and if you don't that's fine also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts